Clear all

Struggling With Something New

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'm entering the next learning curve in my playing. I can play most chords & rhythm just fine. I can hack out some leads. The next thing for me is to do rhythm in single and double notes. Things like the rhythm in the Stones' Gimme Shelter.

Any helpful tips?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

On a lot of Stones songs, you can get away with playing rhythm on the D G & B strings....Brown Sugar is the classic example, Wes Inman once tabbed it for the Easy song Database, but somehow his tab got shrunk....

Basically, you just play the A shape chord with a minibarre across all three strings, then either add a sus 4th...2nd finger on the B string one fret up from the mini barre....or a D chord, 2nd finger same place as for the sus4, 3rd finger on the D string, 2 frets up from the mini barre....

...A Asus4 D

B 2....3.....3
G 2....2.....2
D 2....2.....4

You can move these shapes anywhere up and down the neck....

Gimme Shelter, I think, is in D, so try this for the intro....

--D----------C----------Bb--------Bb------C----
B 7 8 8 7 - 5 6 6 5 - 3 4 4 3 - 3 4 3 - 5 6 5
G 7 7 7 7 - 5 5 5 5 - 3 3 3 3 - 3 3 3 - 5 5 5
D 7 9 9 7 - 5 7 7 5 - 3 5 5 3 - 3 5 3 - 5 7 5

repeat, then you're into the full D chord.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hmmmm, same type of problem. I think it's a rhythm mental block for that lick more than anything. It's like my mind says one thing, but my hands have something different in mind.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

Love this song! I tried to see if I could play the beginning riff (from a tab) and of course it didn't sound anything like the song. The more tabs I looked at I found where some guy said to play it in an open "E" tuning. I never tried that so I don't really know. Let me know if you get it.

http://www.guitartabs.cc/fetchfile.php?fileid=12190390

Scroll all the way down.

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@mwilliams)
Trusted Member

rparker...great timing with the post! My butt is being handed to me in trying to learn "Needle and the Damage Done" for the same reasons. Not sure what it is but I just can't get it. More practice and time...but it's frustrating! Be well!

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

When that happens to me, I break it into small sections and it works for the most part.

Try a measure at a time, or less if need be.

Good luck, bud!

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Here's one for ya, though the music is not exactly in the same category... at all, but it's helpful exercise.

For plunking down single note rhythm lines, I sometimes take inspiration from Tom Morello's work with Rage Against The Machine, where he'll do tasty lines like the following (from Bombtrack) -
--------------------|-------------------|--
------4---------4-2-|-----4-------------|---
--------------------|-------------4-3-2-|--
--0-2---0-2-0-2-----|-0-2---0-2-0-------|--

It helps to hear the line to cop the groove, so if you can obtain a copy of the track, that's handy. Anyhow, virtually every song he's done with both RATM and Audioslave is loaded up with tasty lines like that, they're almost all in in straight time, and they can all be easily embellished with power chords or what not.

The other thing you can do with single note rhythm lines is run little blues things like this example, in G:
E----------------------|
B----------------------|
G----------------------|
D--------2-3-----------|
A----2-5------5-2------|
E--3---------------3---|

Repeat that pattern, but starting on the C note, and then on the D note and you'll have yourself a nifty little sounding line that looks a lot harder than it is! :P

Hope this helps, keep on practicing!

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote