struggling

20 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
 sean
(@sean)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

hello all! :D i am currently rapidly learning some classic songs just picking the individual notes which is fine and keeps me positive and my note changes are nice and swift so the simple songs i play sound pretty good.
i want to learn some chords but finding it hard just wanted to find out which chords are easiest to learn and what did you guys start with?
also what songs are good to start to with?

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

Sean

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Any of the songs in the beginner https://www.guitarnoise.com/topics/easy-guitar-songs/

or intermediate https://www.guitarnoise.com/topics/songs-for-intermediates/ depending on your level, are good to start with.

As for learning chords, I find a songs i like that have the chord in it and then play that song over and over.

For example, I had learned the A chord wrong the first time so to relearn it I picked a song that is pretty much nothing but D-A-E and played the song over and over while making sure that I played the A correctly. Helped alot.

Good luck to ya.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Sean, from one newbie to another start with all the open chords...A C D D7 Dm E G Em. Plus you can also play the partial barre F which is easy to learn.

With those chords you can play MOST of the songs in the Easy Song Database located on this forum. I have only been playing 10 1/2 weeks and can do many of those songs already.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

most beginners find open chords easiest, unless you have really big hands?
Try working through these songs, startingt from the bottom of the list. There are a couple of oddball chords there, but all reletively simple.
https://www.guitarnoise.com/topics/easy-guitar-songs/
I presume you'e old enough to recognize a couple :)
loland
https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/absolute-beginner-part-1/
Also I'd suggest reading
https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/changing-chords/
Ignore the mumbo jumbo if it puts you off, just concentrate on how the author suggests practicing.
And do yourself a favour, find a ruler and check that the
Standard Action (String Height) is Measured at the 12th Fret
Treble Side Bass Side
3/64 5/64
taken from Nils
http://home.nycap.rr.com/nils/BasicGuitarSetup.htm
If your guitar isn't extremely close, take it to a store.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Hey Sean, since you already have received some good advice to get you started I will just welcome you to GN.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@tsarcazm)

Big hansd?

Naww jst kiddng - welcome to the board man!

Practice; don't ask, just practice

ReplyQuote
 sean
(@sean)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the welcome nils!
i have only been playing a few weeks and i need all the help i can get!
cant wait till im playing full songs and getting some serious riffs down.....one day :D

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

Sean

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Well, you have definitely come to the right place to get you started and help you progress. Make sure you get to the front page and select the beginners lessons. Outside of the basics they take you pretty quickly into playing relatively easy songs.

Have fun

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 sean
(@sean)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

yeah cant wait to get going properly looking to get a new guitar next week cant wait!!! :P

Sean

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

yeah cant wait to get going properly looking to get a new guitar next week cant wait!!! :P

And take the pic then for all of us.maybe make an mp3 too :wink:

ReplyQuote
 sean
(@sean)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

ill do the pic but i dont think you will want to hea me play just yet! :oops:
cant play much at the moment but as soon as i have my first decent song down i will post it for some constructive criticsm :D
got to tellthe missus that im getting another guitar yet so i may not be alive to post my pics :twisted: :twisted:

Sean

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

got to tellthe missus that im getting another guitar yet so i may not be alive to post my pics :twisted: :twisted:
Do what I do. Except for the one she bought me I buy all black guitars and she does not know the difference :lol: :twisted:

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 sean
(@sean)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

bloody good idea!! :twisted:

any more tips for getting around the other half are just as welcome as guitar tips!!

:twisted:

Sean

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

bloody good idea!! :twisted:

any more tips for getting around the other half are just as welcome as guitar tips!!

:twisted:

Well, a tip for the future:

When you get tired of that old ugly guitar you have sitting in the corner. Set it up in the perfect spot so that when the kids, or even better the wife herself, comes along... they knock the guitar over. Might have to pre cut the neck or headstock a bit to make sure it comes off. But the guilt JUSTS MIGHT get you a new beauty. Especially, if you cry alot.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 sean
(@sean)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

LMAO i might just give it a try!!

:lol:

Sean

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2