0 Likes
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

OK IS IT BETTER TO LEARN FINGER PICKING OR STRUMMING
OR CAN YOU DO BOTH, IS PICKING WORTH IT

(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

No reason not to do both....learn a few strumming patterns then followup with some fingerstyle....

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

You can do what ever you want! It is your guitar, so play it the way you like. I prefer strumming to finger picking, but can do either. I just like the way strumming sounds!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I avoid both.

seriously, it is your choice. you can develop both as they are not exclusive camps.
if you want to play several styles of music then it would be a good idea to develop both.
I use a hybrid style. I hold the flat pick normally, but use my middle finger too.
ofcourse I dont get the exact finger picking rythym, but I tend to personalize all my guitar playing licks and styles.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

Do you mean learning them in general or just for stating out? I think you should probably start out with what is perdominantly used in your style of music. If you like folk or bluegrass, you should probably start some finger picking. If you prefer rock you might want to start with strumming, and if blues is your thing you could go either way, but might want to start with strumming. I also encourage you to eventaully learn them both as they can each add something to any kind of music. I also use a kind of hybrid style sometimes.

Just relax and play and have fun!

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

OK IS IT BETTER TO LEARN FINGER PICKING OR STRUMMING
OR CAN YOU DO BOTH, IS PICKING WORTH IT

Hi mate

first of all work hard to get a good rhythm, that's the real priority if you wish to play guitar! Having said so I'd start with learning some basic strumming pattern because it's easier (from a beginner's perspective) to get a good rhythmic control with strummin. Then when you'll feel quite confident with your stummin try to learn some fingerpicking which is a good tool to develop your fingers' dexterity and also an excellent way to re-interpretate a song you can already play with a strumming style

Cheers

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

Learning both is good.

Learning how to turn off your Caps Lock key and STOP SHOUTING, is also a good thing.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

WHATS THAT I CANT HEAR YOU ?

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

WHATS THAT I CANT HEAR YOU ?Advice: use a :D or :wink: to imply sarcasm... otherwise STOP being a tool... The friendly people here are offering you good advice.. which is what you asked for.

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@nirvgas)
Estimable Member

Learning both is good.

Learning how to turn off your Caps Lock key and STOP SHOUTING, is also a good thing.

Using PM's to let people know that sort of stuff is a good thing as well. :wink:

Life is my friend
Rake it up to take it in
Wrap me in your cinnamon
Especially in Michigan
...well I could be your friend- RHCP

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

whats a Tool ?~~~~~~~~ and where and where are these smiley guys

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

and where are these smiley guys

<-----
<----- When you're posting
<----- they are over there
<-----
:lol: :D :) :mrgreen:

(unless you have them shut off in your profile)

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

now we are all happy :D

ReplyQuote