Notifications
Clear all

stupid noob question

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@noobified)
Topic starter  

i just got a squier strat and i was wondering what that metal bar is that sticks out.. it screws in right next to the string and volume knob... what does it do??? thanks in advance

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Depending on who you hang with, it's called a tremolo arm, a vibrato bar, or a whammy bar. When you press down on it, the bridge will move - it lowers the tension of your strings. When you ease up, springs built into the guitar under the bridge pull the strings back up to pitch.

You can get a lot of different effects with one, swoops, dives, vibrato on chords. The downside: your guitar will tend to go out of tune when you use it. There are bridge systems, like the Floyd Rose, that prevent (or at least minimize) tuning issues, but I'm guessing your Squier isn't fitted out with one.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@fiberoptik)
Estimable Member

Since your new to the guitar, as was suggested to me, just take it off... Otherwise youll end up futzing with it to no end. :)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Since your new to the guitar, as was suggested to me, just take it off... Otherwise youll end up futzing with it to no end. :)

I second the motion!

Just wanted to say welcome to the musical madhouse!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@noobified)
Topic starter  

thanks for the info.. i'll keep it off til i can actually start playing stuff...

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

i'll keep it off til i can actually start playing stuff...

And once you start playing stuff, you'll probably leave it off because you CAN play. :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote