Clear all

Stupid Question

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@william55)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I am new to playing a guitar today is my 2nd day! I am playing the "horse with no name" song with the upward strokes. The notes I am using is Em and Dadd6add9 (Is that an Fm? confused why it is Dadd6add9) I have a few questions here and some of them are really dumb so bear with me lol.

#1. Is the guy using a pick on the audio sections of that song? Where you can listen to him play?

#2. When you do an upward stroke what is the kind of motion for hitting the strings you want to do? I just don't sound as clear as that guy, And he sounds like he is getting higher pitch sounds then me. I am getting more dull sounds then him. From the top notes of E, A, and D.

#3. When your holding a Chord, Lets take Em for example. Is your goal to hit the strings that your holding down on the fret board more? For example on Em, Should I focus on hitting A, and D more then the other strings? Or just hit it all the way through? I know its kind of a dumb question, But better to find out now then later haha.

#4. On that sample he is playing with the upward strokes, he says he lays his hand on the strings to stop the sound so he can keep hitting it to make it sound really cool. But how does he lay his hand across it while using the pick? I try it and sometimes I miss chords or can't do it fast enough to hit it up. Thanks for replies you guys appreciate it.

(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

William55, the good thing about this site is there: “there are no stupid questions”
I know because I've posted a number of them!

I think, when you're just starting out using a pick (exclusively) is a mistake, Use your thumb (and or fingers) for strumming, and doing little (riff's), then when you get rhythm, try the pick.

Use a thin pick, then advance to med, thick. Etc.

Just try it, see how it works out for you.

If it doesn't work them I'm wrong, nothing new there! Even now, when I start out with a new song, I start by just strumming with my thumb, then I'll try the pick.

But to answer some of your questions:
2. When you do an upward stroke what is the kind of motion for hitting the strings you want to do? I just don't sound as clear as that guy, And he sounds like he is getting higher pitch sounds then me. I am getting more dull sounds then him. From the top notes of E, A, and D.
Try just the treble strings. (E, B , G)

#3. When your holding a Chord, Lets take Em for example. Is your goal to hit the strings that your holding down on the fret board more? For example on Em, Should I focus on hitting A, and D more then the other strings? Or just hit it all the way through? I know its kind of a dumb question, But better to find out now then later haha.
All the strings, on a downstroke.

#4. On that sample he is playing with the upward strokes, he says he lays his hand on the strings to stop the sound so he can keep hitting it to make it sound really cool. But how does he lay his hand across it while using the pick? I try it and sometimes I miss chords or can't do it fast enough to hit it up. Thanks for replies you guys appreciate it.
This will take practice, again, try using thumb (fingers) in the beginning, this is palm muting.

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

:roll: hehe, you might get some stupid answers too - but here goes:

#1 If the soundbite isn't enough, try searching youtube. They have EVERYTHING, including a few versions of HWNN.

#2 I don't use a pick, so not much help there! But try not hitting the strings as hard and making sure your fingers aren't touching any strings they're not supposed. BTW David Hodge has had a lot more practice than either you or I, so I don't expect to sound like him in a fraction of the time and neither should you!

#3 If the chord is shown with an 'x' above the string in the diagram, then you don't hit that string. Otherwise you can hit any or all of the strings or various combinations thereof, depending on what sound you want. When you get a chance, look over lesson #2 for more on playing individual notes.

#4 Er, the hand kinda follows the strum as it happens and comes down across the strings to mute. Regardless of the timing, any piece of music is usually learned s-l-o-w-l-y enough that you can keep the rhythm going. Then speed it up gradually.

#5 Sure Dadd6add9 ... I haven't seen that particular chord in other songs (yet) so it exists mostly to give HWNN it's own special sound. If you have only been playing 2 days (!) there is a LOT of information to sort out. May I suggest learning a few basic chords and some easy strumming rhythms to start ... There are many good articles on music theory in this site for when your fingers are too sore to play, but remember that music originated BEFORE musical notation or chord theory and it only really needs to make sense to your ears :wink:

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

ReplyQuote