Clear all

Swapping Gear

12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Right now I've got an acoustic and an electric. I realized that I don't actually play the electric as much as I thought I would. It turns out I'm probably not going to play in very many bands as the lead/rhythm guitarist ;) But I do like singing along with my acoustic. I'm also interested in learning how to play piano (and accompanying myself on that, eventually). Since I got my electric stuff used, I'm thinking I could sell it on Craigslist (pretty much for what I got it for, since used stuff doesn't depreciate), and use that as a down payment on a digital piano (a nice one costs $600 to $1200). I could probably sell my electric gear (guitar, amp, case) for $400.

What do you guys think? Is this foolish? Should I just keep the electric in its case (you never know, someday you might become the lead guitarist), practice on the acoustic, and just save up for the piano?

(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

My vote is to keep it. I don't think you should get rid of instruments that you've already bought. You may need it someday.

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

good advice pearl 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

It's also good to have around for impromptu jams with other people.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I think I was just momentarily irrational... I think like what art&lutherie said is true. I just need to have more people to jam with!

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

The amount of guitarists I know or have met that say "I used to have such and such a guitar, I wish I still had it" has made me decide I will never sell a guitar. I'd say keep it :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

When your practicing, you should spend alittle time with each guitar. If you like the acoustic and singing, then maybe spend alittle more time with that. But practice on them both.

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

There is nothing wrong with selling unwanted and unused gear. That you would put the money towards another music purchase that you believe you would have more use for makes sense, at least to me.

Just my 2 cents.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Well I never have sold a guitar, even when they are broken. I'm fixing up my first guitar which had the worst electronics known to man. I'd keep it, and save up for the piano, maybe take out a loan if your desperate.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

There is nothing wrong with selling unwanted and unused gear. That you would put the money towards another music purchase that you believe you would have more use for makes sense, at least to me.

Just my 2 cents.

Michael

Yep.. I agree with your two cents

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the replies. To clarify, I got the gear used, so there wouldn't be any net loss of money :)

ReplyQuote
(@manitou)
Estimable Member

I would saykeep it if you "just arent playing it much" because you amy want to again. the only reason I would condone selling gear is if you either A Bought it to resell or B have found it to be an inferior instrument. I did a B. A coupl eyears ago I spent about 600bucks on a Jackson electric and played it solid for about 6 months, untill I got my peavey amp working and then found the sound quality to be FAR less than my pawnshop junkers. This guitar has 0 tone... and I didnt know what the hell tone was when I bought it... anyway, you know what im saying. if its perfectly good stuff, I wouldnt sell it. But if you want that keyboard bad enough... sell a kidney or something if you need to :)

SHUT UP ABOUT IRON MAIDEN SOLOS AND GO PRACTICE!
-Manitou

ReplyQuote