Clear all

Sweep Picking: Can't find lesson

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@sagaciouskjb2)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Okay, well, i tried searching for a lesson about sweep picking, and I couldn't find one. Now, I admit, I'm not the greatest at searching, and really apologize if one of you guys can just pluck it out of thin air, but I'd apreciate it if someone could find it.

That being said, I'm realy wondering what sweep picking is. I mean, I've heard plenty of it, I just don't know what the actual mechanics of doing it are. A lot of people I've talked to say it's like doing an apreggio, but then randomly doing hammeons and pulloffs when the pick sweeps over a certain string.

Anyway, an explanation to what it is would be nice. I"m just curious right now, I don't know if I will actually begin to practice it, because a lot of people say it's very difficult, but you know, it'd be nice to know what it is to practice it down the road.

Thanks.

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

:D

Just so we'd have 'service with a smile'

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@sagaciouskjb2)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Heh, after reading most of those lessons, I realized that I've been sweep picking things for a while now. I guess I just never realized it when the only other example I had available was Yngwie Malmsteen.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Sweeping picking is basically playing an arpeggio with either all downstrokes or upstrokes (or both if you play it up and down), the trickiest part is that you can't let any strings ring out, so you have to raise each finger off the frets after you play the string, just start off slow and play faster. It's not too hard to do, once you get the mechanics of it it's just a matter of practice.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote