Clear all

Switch from Electric to Acoustic

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@eastcoast)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've played as a beginner on electric guitar for a couple years now. I've practiced open chords, barres, and major pentatonic scales. I just got an acoustic guitar. It was set up by a good shop with new strings (11's). It seems like it's much more common for people to switch from acoustic to electric, but not the other way around.

Does anyone have any tips? So far I've noticed that it's harder (and more painful right now) on my fingers and fretting hand... which I expected. It also seems like I have to be much more careful and precise with my fretting or I get string buzz. For example, if my first (pointer) finger on the D string in an open A chord gets a little too far in the direction of the nut (easy to do when crowding my three fingers in that small space!), that D string buzzes. My ring finger on the A string in an E-shape barre has the same buzz problem because that finger drifts a bit in the direction of the nut too. Is this normal? Is an electric more forgiving to stuff like this? Thanks for the advice.

(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I switch back and forth between a acoustic, electric, and a resonator. Each is different, and takes a few min to adapt. I think playing mostly the resonator, with its stiffer action improves my playing on electric. Its almost like you can "cheat" more on the electric. I have to be much more precise on my finger placement on the resonator, and acoustic.

Paul B

ReplyQuote