Clear all

Teacher survey....

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, I have made some real good progress on my own but I have always known I needed lessons, so going to give it another shot for getting one. I tried in the beginning but scheduling a routine day/time was more of a problem then than it is now.

Basically I want to have my practice evaluated and corrections/improvements made to increase my skills and work on some things I am probably not doing or doing correctly.

But what I mostly want is someone who can help me turn CD's and TABS into songs I can play. This is the part that I thought would be less difficult than it is.

I am disadvantaged to the max here with not having someone around who can also play guitar, so a teacher is what I need to move forward at a better pace.

I don't wish to start from scratch or spend my lesson time discussing the notes/tones of a major scale for the next 6 months....I have a specific thing in mind I want to accomplish...switch to 'playing' music instead of just drilling myself with my scales, exercises, arpeggio's, strumming endless loops of chords..............etc.

I never took lessons and with teachers there will be 'all kinds' out there, as with everything esle and I will not mesh with every teacher, so I was just thinking someone here might give me some pointers for what to look for in a teacher for what I want to accomplish. :D

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

(@matthew)
Trusted Member

Sounds like you have to phone up teacher after teacher until you find one who's not so stuck on their teaching method. I have one.

I actually have two teachers, one for summer, and one for when i'm off at school. The one I have in summer pretty much does what you want. I go to him, he pretty much asks me what I want to learn, and he teaches that, and shows me cool things for next time, and we work out cool songs. So I go in, he makes us coffee, we go out for a smoke (well he smokes I just chat), then we go inside and I do my lesson, then we chat some more, and kinda jam for a bit. It's great. You just have to find the right guy!

My other teacher is VERY _VERY_ conservatory. So I go in and it's down to business, I do my note reading, and i'm out of there in the 30 min. But I tend to learn a lot at the same time. When it comes to the more "dull" things, I need that strictness.

So both types exist. Hopefully you can find the right on in your area. If you live just east of Toronto, Ontario I could hook you up.

"Now people put you down for the way that you lived
But those people never knew you the way that I did
Don't be ashamed of who you were of how you died
I know you just wanted to find the brighter side..." - OPM

- Matthew

ReplyQuote