Clear all

Teaching myself to sing; help?

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well, I've decided I wanna go full out and learn how to sing along with my instrumental endeavours. Basically, I'd be willing to put time in, but I wouldn't want to get into vocal lessons just yet...so the question. Are there any free programs or websites for teaching yourself how to sing? Any help is appreciated, also any general tips for starting out would be great. I assume, just like with guitar, you don't want to over do it at first. Thanks.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Jason,
From my limited experience, I can offer you only what has been offered to me.

- Play single notes on your guitar, and try to match pitch with them. Slide into the note if you have to.
-When singing along with a song, or even by your self, try cupping your hands infront of your mouth, this will better enable you to hear how you ACTUALLY sound.
- Record your self singing with a backing track or something else. Again, this will better enable you to hear your self ,and to discover anythings you don't feel are right.
-Stand up straight
-If you can't stand, sit as straight as possible, posture is important.
-Don't hurt your vocal chords, and drink room temperature water, nothing cold before singing.

Thats all I can think of right now, they are all pretty basic tips, hope they help.

Taso

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Check out your local Library, mine had several CD, VCR and casette singing lesson programs.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

I've always found that if I stick a finger in one ear, it allows me to hear myself much better. Doing that, you may find it easier to match pitches while your ear gets trained to hear those tones better.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member

Hey Jason,

If you're on the Toronto area, you should have a Chapters Bookstore somewhere.

There is a Hal Leonard Vocal Singing Book, it comes with a CD and it's about $20.00.

I'm going to get it for my wife and daughter, it's very well laid out (as all Hal Leonard books are). And very easy to understand.

Kenny

ReplyQuote
(@enigma)

if you do, with a guitar tuner it picks up pitchs of voice quite well. has to have a microphone though.

with my guitar tuner i plug it into my computer for the microphone to record and when i speak (deep voice) it shows the pitch on a little display, and then when make a squeeky voice it goes up.
pretty usefull.

if i ever decided to sing i would use it to level outmy voice to match the chords.

there are other thigns for picking up pitchs, more suited to its job.
what someone must never forget is that what you hear with your ears as you sing, your voice is not the same to them, or yourself if your playing back your voice.

ReplyQuote