Skip to content
Power chords--any t...

Notifications
Clear all

Power chords--any trick, or just need more hand strength?

13 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@jester)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Raw beginner here. I have great difficulty playing power chords, those with the shape:

--------------------
--------------------
-----------5--------
-----------5--------
-----------3--------

I'm fretting these with index, ring, and pinky fingers. It's very hard to get my hand in this position and get everything to ring clearly. Certainly I can't move quickly around the fretboard like this--I have to carefully place each finger and force them into place.

Is there any trick to this (like the F-chord trick of using the _side_ of your finger to barre the B and e string, which someone posted recently--this was great!)? Or is it just something I have to work at until I get the finger strength and flexibility to do it better?

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I use two fingers, index and ring.

Yes, it does take a little practice to get down (power chords that is) but, the faster you play them the more tired your hand will get. Pratice + time = results

Stay at it.

ReplyQuote
(@jester)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Do you mean that you use your ring finger to barre the two strings? Or that you play a two-note (rather than three-note) power chord, as I saw in another discussion here?

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

I would use my index, ring and pinky for that chord.

If you move that chord down a string so that the root is on the A string, you can rest the middle finger on the e string to mute it.

Just keep trying it, soon you'll have the strenght to play those chords all day long.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I would barre that chord. I'd use either index and a ring finger barre, middle with pinky, or index with pinky if I were low on the neck. It's all in getting your fingers to lie in the right spot in the right way; no special strength required. Make sure your fingers are right behind the frets, and make sure you're fretting with the weight of your arm rather than by squeezing, and you'll get the hang of it.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Yep, I'd barre too, using the index and ring fingers. I like to keep the pinky free to boogie on the 5 chords if I need to.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@rejectedagain)
Estimable Member

i had trouble with power chords at first. i agree that it takes time, i form them the same way you do, pointer, ring, and pinky and lately i've been making progress and eventually you'll be able to play songs that sound tricky but really just require hand speed. and that's exactly what the practice will do for you in playing power chords. so in my opinion your playing 'em right, it'll just take time.

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

This will give you incentive to practice your power chords. I was messing around trying to figure a nice rhythm for my own song and just using power chords instead of the actual chords (I was playing barre forms and didn't want my hand getting tired), and I accidentally taught myself Wild Thing. There is your challenge on them, figure out how to play it messing around with power chords. Don't cheat and look at the tabs either, have fun with it. :lol:

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

If the root is 6th string I play them as a barre version of Em (index, ringfinger, pinky), if the root is on the 5th string like a barre version of A (index&pinky/ringfinger), and if it is on the 4th string I fret the rootnote without barre (index, ringfinger, pinky).

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I barre with the ring finger and use my index finger on the bass note as well. It leaves the pinky free as musen said.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

jester

I am guessing here, but your problem might be that you are gripping the guitar neck like a baseball bat or golf club. This is not correct, especially when you want to play a Barre chord or Power chord. Look at this picture:

Barre Chord

This is the proper way to play Barre or Power chords. Your thumb should be placed on the middle of the neck, about lined up with your middle finger on the front (notice you cannot see the thumb in this pic). Your palm should not be on the neck. There should be a gap or space between the neck and your palm. Then, curve your fingers over the fretboard like a spider.

You will find this will give you much greater reach, especially to your bass strings. You will quickly adjust to how this feels.

Here is a pic of someone playing a Power chord using the ring finger only as a mini-barre to cover two strings. But notice you do not see the thumb extending over the top of the neck. Notice the nice gap between the palm and the neck.

Power Chord

It doesn't matter if you use your ring and pinky to hold the bottom two notes or just use your ring in a little barre to cover both. It is what is most comfortable to you.

Don't give up. In a short while these chords will be extremely easy for you to fret and move around. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@2shane)

Index Finger?????

I have an index thumb if that's any use to you.

ReplyQuote
(@necrotic)
Eminent Member

Some people may frown upon this but I use my index finger on the root note and my pinky as a mini barre on the higher notes. I can't move necessarily as fast as using my ring finger, but my notes sound much clearer and it uses relatively less hand strength. Plus, learning this now will give your pinky lots of practice.

ReplyQuote