Skip to content
Theory Question reg...

Notifications
Clear all

Theory Question regarding the C Major Scale...

18 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@mwilliams)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Your help would be most appreciated:

Am I understanding this correctly...Using the C Major Scale, there are 7 notes (C,D,E,F,G,A,B...no flats or sharps). Having said that, the key of C includes only these notes (I think?). So...there should be 7 chords that "go" with the key of C (may be some exceptions here but lets keep it simple for now). Using the 1,3,5 scheme, the notes for the 7 chords would be:

C,E,G
D,F,A
E,G,B
F,A,C
G,B,D
A,C,E
B,D,F

If all the above is accurate, all I should need to do is figure out what chords make up those notes and I'll have the 7 chords. Am I even close????

Thanks in advance!

Mike

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You're right on track. The approach you're taking is called 'harmonizing the scale', and it results in:

C
Dm
Em
F
G
Am
Bº

You can even go a step further and use four-note harmonies, like C-E-G-B. Then you get these chords from harmonizing the scale:

Cmaj7
Dm7
Em7
Fmaj7
G7
Am7
Bm7b5 (or B 'half-diminished')

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@mwilliams)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the confirmation...only been at this for less than 3 months so I'm trying very hard to understand what's really going on! Again...I thank you!

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@patrick)
Reputable Member

I don't understand why the D, E, and A chords must be minor and the B diminished (if that's what that symbol means).

So if you were to play D, E, and A chords (all major) over a C major scale, would it sound wrong? ...they should/must be minor?

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Because the C major scale has no sharps or flats.
The D, E, A and B major chords do.

ReplyQuote
(@shadychar)
Trusted Member

I don't understand why the D, E, and A chords must be minor and the B diminished (if that's what that symbol means).

So if you were to play D, E, and A chords (all major) over a C major scale, would it sound wrong? ...they should/must be minor?When you harmonize the major scale, minor and dimished chords are part of the result. This is not to say that you can't use major chords over a melody in that scale, or even that it would sound bad, it's just the way it works out. All of the notes in C major scale are represented in the chords.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

An A-minor chord consists of A, C, E, an A-major chord consists of A, C#, E. And since C# isn't part of C-major A-minor 'belongs' to C and A-major doesn't. An Asus2 (A, B, E) would be another option that 'fits' C-major, as is Asus4 (A,D,E). It doesn't mean A-major is forbidden, it just means that you'll be using a ntoe that isn't part of the C-major scale. For what it's worth, the band I'm in hasn't written a single song where the chords never contain a note outside the key being used.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

For what it's worth, the band I'm in hasn't written a single song where the chords never contain a note outside the key being used.

Assuming I'm parsing that correctly and he's saying "Every song we right contains at least one outside note," he's right -- being so conforming that you never use discordant notes results in bland music.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@patrick)
Reputable Member

Okay, some of the seven chords have to be made minor or diminished in order for their constituent notes to match the C major scale. Got it.

About writing songs using outside notes; are there any rules dictated by music theory, or is it just a subjective matter of using outside notes sparingly and with good taste? ...like a chef who just knows from experience (rather than from a cook book) when, which, and how much spice should be added, or like the blues scale's flatted fifth.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

The latter: cayenne pepper may be a little overpowering, but that doesn't mean you don't use it in moderation.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If you click here, you'll see how each of those chords is arrived at.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

King: yeah, that 's what I was trying to write.

Pattrick: There are *NO* rules in music. Theory cannot ever command or forbid you to do anything. If your song consists mostly of notes of the C-major scale, you could say you wrote a song in C-major. But if you feel like playing a melody using non C-major scale notes then that is perfectly possible. And if you suddenly use a lot more non C-major notes then chances are you switched key. If you look at jazz you sometimes see two 'modulations' (key changes) in a single measure! You should play whatever is in your head, and theory will then stick labels on it.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Some things to try, if you want to play with discordant music.

Say you like a chord progression involving

Em - Am - Em - Am

Well, you realize that Em6 is the same notes as a C#m7b5, so you change the second chords accordingly:

Em - Am - C#m7b5 - Am

But you keep the melody notes the same, you very likely will create a bit of tension in the song because the melody notes probably won't quite fit the chord if they're all in the key of Em.

Other things you can try is adding some passing tones in between notes.

Instead of your meldoy going C - E - E - D - G maybe you can go C - E - E - D - (F F#)G

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Great. Just great. So I spend half the day trying to make something of an Am-Em-Am-Em progression our vocalist gave me. I come up with a C#m7b5, feel might brilliant, only to see some dude on the internet post the exact same thing as a standard trick everyone should know. How awesome... :?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Of course, you can always solo over a C Major accompaniment in the C blues scale, which consists of C, Eb, F, Gb, G, Bb, (C).

Or the C "Major Blues Scale" or "Traditional Blues Scale." C, D, Eb, E, G, A, (C).

Both contain notes not found in the C Major scale, but work fine over it with no "sour notes." In fact, you can combine the notes of those two scales and use 'em all over C Major.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2