Skip to content
Tendency To Bend St...

Notifications
Clear all

Tendency To Bend String During Hammeron/pullof?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

Is it normal to bend the string toward the treble strings when performing several hammerons & pulloffs in a row? I'll pit my index finger on any string at any fret and hammero/pulloff with my other fingers. I start to pull the string toward the treble strings with my index as I do the HO & PO. I tried concentrating on pushing the string toward the bass but it always slips down. Is this normal?
Thanks

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

It sounds like you're applying too much pressure to your index finger. At this stage your callous should be doing most of the work.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I agree with Mike. The index finger simply frets the note. You only press down enough to sound the note cleanly, hardly any pressure at all.

The finger doing the hammer-on and pull is a little different. You want to practice hammering with consistent pressure and evenly timed strokes (but very little force). On the pull you give a very slight downward tug on the string, but not enough to change the pitch.

You will find that if you learn to hammer-on and pull-off with as much relaxation as possible that you will be able to do so for a long time without your hand getting tired. It will also sound more even.

So, ease up on the pressure and completely relax. It is not nearly as much work to do this as some people think.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Thanks guys but I don't think that's it...I'm not really using that much pressure. It happens mostly from the B string on down...the high E is fine.

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

It seems like you're so focused on hammering/pulling with your other fingers, that you lose focus on what your index finger is doing...

I assume you're not having a problem on the high e because its soo easy to reach... no stretching involved.

Does this problem exaggerate the further to you try to reach across the fretboard ? (ie. are you bending the lower strings out of tune worse than the higher strings ?)

if so.... try concentrating on keeping your index finger in the correct position while you perform these techniques (your hammers/pulls will probably be sloppy to begin with while trying this) but consciously keep total control of what your index finger is doing.

if not... ignore my idea :wink:

Playing guitar is a beautiful, harmonious balancing act between all parts of your body. sometimes your mental focus must be shifted to a different aspect of your physiology to achieve this balance...

JMHO,

Peace

J

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote