Clear all

Terminology dictionary?

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rubburduckie)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Anyone know where I can find a good terminology dictionary online? Half of the talk on here is foriegn to me and i really want to learn all I can

(@deanobeano)
Reputable Member

I cant find one either and i've searched on the net but nothing i think it would be a good idea to start one on this site.It would help beginers alot.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

The best way to find things like that is to put a bunch of the terms you'd like explained into Google and see what it throws up.

Use the plus signs like this:

+interval +chromatic +clef +key

Here's one that popped up:

PDF document with Glossary of Music Terms

Here's another:

Another called "Theory on the Web"

I'm sure there's heaps around. :)

Not sure which ones are better than others, as I tend to use books rather than the web for that sort of info.

Good luck anyway.

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Google the words "Guitar" and "Glossary." Take your pick.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

The Oxford Concise Dictionary of Music is a good reference too:

http://www.bestprices.com/cgi-bin/vlink/0198608845BT?source=froogle

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Guitar Terms - Glossary

ReplyQuote
(@rubburduckie)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Great thanks for the links !!! I played piano as a child and understand a lot of music theory but not enouhg to get throught his forum!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@rubburduckie)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Quick question, instead of starting a new thread. For a Barre Chord would you getthe same affect using a capo? or is this something totally different?

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Yes, a full barre across all six strings acts like a movable capo. Except of course that it limits which fingers you've got left over to make the chord shapes. :wink: But they are used a bit differently.

The idea with barre chords is that you hold a set shape (actually several set shapes) and by moving them up and down the neck you get different chords. Whereas a capo obviously stays static. For instance you can use a capo to change key yet still use the basic chord shapes from the "first position" at the top of the neck. (Sorry if that isn't clear...)

Many people find the full barre hard to do, and it can takes weeks or months to get right, but in many situations you can just use a partial barre. In other words, when you don't need to sound all of the strings you can often use a barring position that presses down less strings, and is easier to do.

So I've read anyway. :D I still use a partial barre in some situations, but my full barre is getting good enough to mostly use that now (took a long while though!)

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote