Notifications
Clear all

Mel Bay's Modern Guitar Method Grade1

22 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@patrick-drew)
Topic starter  

I've had my guitar for a little while now, and I don't know much of anything. All I have really been doing is downloading tabs for GuitarPro, and learning some of my favorite riffs. Wanting to learn to play guitar correctly, I bought Mel Bay's book.

I've read some amazon reviews of this book, and it gets mixed opinions. Some people say you cannot teach yourself using this book and need a teacher. I cannot really afford to pay some guy 25 dollars for a 30 minute lesson, so I hope that's not the case. I've also read that this book is dated, and that most younger players will not recognize the songs. I'm 18, and this worries me because it does not have a CD to go along with it. Some, however, claim this book is best to go about learning guitar.

I've played a couple of the exercises in the beginning, and they seem easy enough, but I can't judge a book by a 3-note song in quarter notes.

So, what are your opinions? Should I try another book?

Patrick.

Gibson SG Special

Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I'm not familiar with that particular book but if you are learning anything from it and it challenges you then it's worth going from front to back and learning everything in between...no matter what reference material you have in front of you.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

What music are you interested in? Mel Bay will teach you some basics, but there may be something that's more appropriate for your preferred style of music.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

From what I gather the Hal Leonard Series is much better and it comes with a CD. I am thining on getting this just to have on hand. I only have the Guitar for Dummies book and it's OK but kind of boring.

ReplyQuote
(@patrick-drew)
Topic starter  

I'd like to eventually play/make metal.

I'll have to check out that Hal Leonard series. The one I saw was called FastTrack Guitar 1 and it was extremely corny.

Gibson SG Special

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

I have both the Mel Bay and the Hal Leonard, and I really could not recommend either for someone interested in metal.
I'd look into something more like these
edit the url doesn't want to work
try http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/store/ and enter metal and select methods in type of search

I tend towards classic rock, country and jazz, but hopefully some other forum members can offer some more concrete suggestions.

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
(@patrick-drew)
Topic starter  

That is a problem...

There must be some kind of book I can use.

Gibson SG Special

ReplyQuote
(@patrick-drew)
Topic starter  

Sorry, didn't see your edit in time, but that link directs me to some search function.

Gibson SG Special

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

I should have tried the url first myself, the search should bring up a good list of metal focused books

try http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/store/ and enter metal and select methods in type of search

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
(@patrick-drew)
Topic starter  

How are the Troy Stetina books?

Metal Lead Guitar, Vol. 1
Metal Rhythm Guitar, Vol. 1

Gibson SG Special

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

How are the Troy Stetina books?

Metal Lead Guitar, Vol. 1
Metal Rhythm Guitar, Vol. 1
I have his "Total Rock Guitar" book; I think it's very good but definitely not for absolute beginners (in my opinion.)

Take a look at something like the Mel Bay "First Lessons Rock Guitar"
method book to get you started, then try Stetina's stuff.

Have fun!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Patrick,

Before you can play any serious metal your going to have to learn the basics which will take awhile depending on how much time you can devote to practicing.

When I started I didn't have a teacher and I used the Hal Leonard books. After I had worked through the first book on my own I got a teacher.

Not sure these would be the best for you, and I don't know of any beginner metal books but I'm sure there must be some out there. I would recommend getting one that has a CD so you can get an idea if your doing the exercises correctly.

If you can't afford lessons see if you can find someone to jam with as soon as you can, especially someone that plays the style your interested in. That will help a whole lot.

Good luck.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@patrick-drew)
Topic starter  

I could literally practice for eight hours straight if I wanted to.

I just need something to practice through...

So, what are these basics I should learn?

And, I'll have to check out Mel Bay's First Lessons Rock Guitar. Thanks for the recommendation.

Gibson SG Special

ReplyQuote
(@dsparling)
Reputable Member

When I was starting out, there wasn't a whole lot to choose from. I started with the Mel Bay Modern Method (1-7), and later the Berklee Modern Method books (vol 1-3). I also recently taught a guitar class using the Hal Leonard book. Either of those (Mel Bay/Hal Leonard) will probably get you grounded in the basics and you can apply that knowledge to any style you want to play. Using both a generic "method" and a book/video in your preferred style would be a great way to go...

http://www.dougsparling.com/
http://www.300monks.com/store/products.php?cat=59
http://www.myspace.com/dougsparling
https://www.guitarnoise.com/author/dougsparling/

ReplyQuote
(@rag_doll_92)
Reputable Member

I'll have to check out that Hal Leonard series. The one I saw was called FastTrack Guitar 1 and it was extremely corny.

Thats my problem, I've got the fast track chords and scales book, the chords and scales are cool, its like a---I don't know, book full of em' I guess! a quik qote from the book ' learn how to biuld to scale, and you don't need a hammer!' how cheesy is that! :) ROFLOL :? :lol: 8)

Join the fight to stop global warming...
Join the virtual march at: http://www.stopglobalwarming.org
We CAN make a diffrence!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2