Clear all

that doesnt fit in there does it???

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 twd
(@twd)
Topic starter  

im trying to learn a bit of theory right now and one thing about chord progressions is puzzling me
as an example ill use this lesson for Nowhere Man by the Beatles https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/nowhere-man/
now at the start it clearly says this song is in the key of D
when im looking at a chart the chords that fit into the key of Dmajor, this song seems to fit perfectly until we get to the Gm in the verse. what im confused about it how this chord can be put into the progession even though it does not relate to the key of D. this is just a simple example, but there are even more confusing examples of chords coming out of nowhere in varios songs. any replies would be greatly appreciated for a guy with no understanding of all this complex music theory.

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Music theory is actually a 'history' of what previous composers have done. Then other composers come along and break those rules.

One reason you find 'odd' chords in some songs is that the composer is finding chords that fit the melody he/she comes up with - not the other way around.

In other words, it's good to know how chords work, but it's also good to allow yourself to step outside the 'rules' in favor of a strong melodic line.

ReplyQuote
 twd
(@twd)
Topic starter  

hmm i thought id get a reply like this...
so i guess its a case of experimenting and finding what sounds good, thanks for replying so quickly

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Yah, know the chords--or learn how they work together within a key--but also know when to step outside the key a little bit. To me, melody is--or should be--the first and foremost thing. Then you harmonize it with the chords or secondary melodies. If anything, be a 'slave' to your intuition, your inner ear, the melodies you hear in your head, rather than to the rules. Know the rules but don't get stopped by them.

That's for when you're writing your own stuff, which you didn't ask about, but if you put yourself in the songwriter/composer's place you begin to understand that that is what they do sometimes.

There'll probably be a bunch of other posts soon; lots of great, experienced theorists/composers here :)

Best regards.

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

The Beatles are really known for throwing in an odd chord, a lot of times they used diminished chords which is a whole new topic, I'm not even familiar with it myself. Anyhow, you could also check out the circle of fifths/fourths. It's a device that you can use to change keys sort of. A lot of songs actually don't have a key but just go around the circle (meaning they go up a fifth down a fourth) Ie- Hendrix's Hey Joe.

Do a little websearching for that, I know wikipedia has some good info on it. After studying that a bit you will know what I mean.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

George Harrison refered to the dominant diminished chords as "naughty chords"

#4491....

ReplyQuote