Clear all

The "F" word...

10 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@amistad)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

No, this thread is not vulgar or profane. :? It is actually the F chord that I have in mind.

I've been tinkering around with guitar for lots of years, but haven't really done much with it. I have finally made the commitment to really dig in and learn to play some meaningful music. I have always had a heckuva time getting my index finger to lay flat when fretting an open F. (I usually just end up barring the F, but would like to play it open.) Any hints on how to bring a recalcitrant index finger into submission? Any help will be appreciated.

Amistad
'some things in life are not so easy'

(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

There are a couple of alternative F chord shapes.............

Hope these help! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Try rolling your hand slightly toward the nut so your pressing more with the side of your index than the bottom.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Try rolling your hand slightly toward the nut so your pressing more with the side of your index than the bottom.

I second that idea. That's how I learned it. Do try fully barring it though, at some point. It will come in handy.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@rayjaytray)

These are all good ideas. Practice playing Fmaj7 (same as F chord, but with high E stuck open) and gradually try bringing your index finger down to fret the high e. You can replace F with Fmaj7 when you're beginning and it works quite a bit of the time;that's what I did 'till I learned F properly.

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

Also, try barring up the neck first before attempting "F".
Put in about 10 minutes everyday and in 2 weeks you will be using the "F" chord fluently.

Cheers
Vic

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

And give it time :)

ReplyQuote
(@manitou)
Estimable Member

If the question was how to do it differently... theres a book I use called the Big Gig Bag Book of Chords that has several different voicings for each chord. Ive found it pretty usefull when needed an easier transition in a quick song, just a thought.

SHUT UP ABOUT IRON MAIDEN SOLOS AND GO PRACTICE!
-Manitou

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

If the question was how to do it differently... theres a book I use called the Big Gig Bag Book of Chords that has several different voicings for each chord.
There's also my ChordsAndScales.co.uk, which will give you all the notes in a given chord, and from that you can create a voicing that's comfortable for you.

Here's F Major:

(walks off whistling innocently...)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Just a thought...

You can do the full barre, but you have trouble with the 'open' F - so use a barre across three or four strings instead of trying to just hold the B & E strings with your index.

It won't affect the pitch, since your other fingers will fret them above the 'mini-barre'.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote