Clear all

The Frustrated Guitarist

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@introuble)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hi i've recently joined a band and being the only rookie in the band i always feel left out when soem of my band members starts to do an improvisation jam..such as a 12 bar blues etc and i wouldn't know which scales to play what chords next?...and so on...and i'm beginning to feel the frustration of not knowing my chords my scales and all..i just want to know if anyone of u guys felt the same kind of efeeling as me and what did u do? :cry:

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Basically, you need to learn music theory. Find a teacher and use GN lessons to help until such time as you find one.
As a start, I would suggest that you buy Tom Serb's Book to give you a grounding in music theory as it applies to guitarists.

http://www.Noteboat.com

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

yup, know that feeling very well.

Its like i have said on here before, just when you think you are getting somewhere with this guitar thing, you realise that you are a quantum leap away from being like people who just pick it up and jam away.

Keep the faith!

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@alasken)
Eminent Member

Basically, you need to learn music theory. Find a teacher and use GN lessons to help until such time as you find one.
As a start, I would suggest that you buy Tom Serb's Book to give you a grounding in music theory as it applies to guitarists.

That one looks pretty interesting....Tom Serb = Noteboat from this forum? Anyone got anything to say about that book?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Yep, me - it's a good book :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@rob-l)
Trusted Member

I'll second that opinion. It's a great book. I don't use it as much as I should but whenever I do it's easy to understand.

Well I got this guitar and I'm tryin' to learn how to make it talk.

ReplyQuote
(@alasken)
Eminent Member

I'm gonna buy it then. Need a book like that....have to wait till after new years though :/ looking forward to getting it...!

ReplyQuote
(@audioslaveaddict)
Estimable Member

That one looks pretty interesting....Tom Serb = Noteboat from this forum? Anyone got anything to say about that book?

I bought the book right around 3 months ago. To tell you the truth I really enjoy it.

Gun control is using both hands!!!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

see my review on the reviews page. Next book would be Kirk's plane talk

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

I too have Noteboats book. A good intro to music theory for guitar in plain English and it has every scale you'll likely ever need. If you ever need to use the Balinese Pelog scale it's there. Also good info on such matters as intervals, key reationships, chord construction, etc, etc.,

Highly recommended for beginning music theororists (is that a acceptable term?).

"You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member

You don't need a book to learn to jam in a 12 bar blues. What you need to do is to simply be able to identify the key of the song. This is how you do it. Look to see what chords are being played. 99.9999999% of the time it will only have 3. The lowest chord will usually be played as a 6th string barre chord, and the two others will be 5th string barre chords. That' called a I-IV-V progression. Example: In the key of G, the I is G, the IV is C, the V is D. To improvise a solo in a blues style, simply use the E minor pentatonic. E minor is the relative minor of G, FYI - if you don't know what that means, don't worry about it. The Eminor pentatonic can be played at the 12th fret. Look in any scale book for how to play it.

If the jam is in A, try the Aminor pentatonic. This is different, I know, but it works fine. If the jam is in E, go back to the Eminor pentatonic.

ReplyQuote
(@alasken)
Eminent Member

Ok, I just ordered Noteboat's book....hopefully it won't take too long to get here, I can't wait to read it :)

ReplyQuote