Skip to content
Whats the correct r...

Notifications
Clear all

Whats the correct right hand position for picking?

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@darkmatter)
Topic starter  

When ever I get ready to play stuff I use to anchor my pinky and my ring, and use just my thumb and index finger to hold the pick. The only part of my hand that did the actual picking was my thumb and index finger. Is this the correct/fastest way to pick? Lately I've tried not to anchor at all by curling my pinky, ring, and middle fingers under my hand to where they touch my palm, and pick using my wrist which I anchor on the bridge. Is this a correct/fast way to pick. I know that theres many different ways people pick but I just wanna know the ways that work the best.

(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

I don't anchor my picking hand at all. I think it would be much more difficult if even possible to get a nice fluid sound with my picking hand anchored.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Anchoring my hand is not something I do intentionally but if I am single picking my pinkie seems to be touching just below the e string most of the time. I like the fluid movement when my hand is free but the pinkie touching gives me a solid reference point.

Anyway, like I said it is not something I intentionally do but just seems to happen depending on what I am doing.

I just did an experiment and when I played the Eagles, Hotel California (unplugged) riff my pinkie never left the pick guard as it is mostly on the treble strings. When I did the riff from Life in the fast lane I never touched anywhere since the primary strings are the base strings. (Yes, I am an Eagles freak)

I hope this makes sense.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@darkmatter)
Topic starter  

So is it ok to rest your picking hand on the bridge?

ReplyQuote
(@catalina3899)
Estimable Member

I have been self taught for 7 months and made great progress but...... That one of many bad habits my teacher has been tring to break me of. My teacher agrees with PappaJohn, restricts both fluid motion and speed.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Nils: Off-topic, but how on earth did you manage to end up with using the logo of my local music store as avatar? You've ever been there? ( http://www.noordermuziekhuis.nl )

ReplyQuote