Clear all

This Capo

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@chlozo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Would this be a good capo to put on my electric guitar?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GUITAR-CAPO-ELECTRIC-OR-ACOUSTIC-NEW_W0QQitemZ7346183107QQcategoryZ33050QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My guitars red.. but oh well. lol.
thankyou.

Billie-Joe Armstrong is HOT! He's my future husband. Ha ;)

(@alangreen)

You can probably get it for that money in the shops

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

It's a bit hard to tell from the picture.

As far as I know, some guitars have flat necks (i.e. classical style) and some have slighty curved necks, such as electric guitars. I seem to remember the guy in the shop where I bought my capo said that it was best to get the type made to suit the neck style on your particular guitar, rather than relying on the the "one size fits all" type.

I can't tell from the picture whether that one is curved or flat (mine is curved, and the one in the pic does look pretty flat). Could work fine, but I think I'd rather have a closer look in a shop.

Couldn't you get one at your local music shop for a similar price? At least then you'd be sure of getting the right one to suit.

EDIT: Whoops, Alan beat me to the post. I second his 'buy at a shop" comment. :)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

It looks like you could get a better capo for around 16 pounds, either a Shubb or a Kyser or a Dunlop trigger:

It's worth getting a decent capo, I think.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Would this be a good capo to put on my electric guitar?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GUITAR-CAPO-ELECTRIC-OR-ACOUSTIC-NEW_W0QQitemZ7346183107QQcategoryZ33050QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My guitars red.. but oh well. lol.
thankyou.

I had that capo before and it's OK but you can get better. Musenfreund posted a nice one. I just got this one from eBay and I like it: Kyser Capo. Not really meant for fast changing but depending how often you are going to use a capo it works great.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I have a Dunlop trigger similar to the picture Musenfreund posted and Kyser identical to Mikespe and both work just fine (trigger is faster)

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Those jagged teeth look pretty dangerous! Kidding, but they are intimidating : :lol:

I have a kyser, and I feel it does the trick.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I've used those capos before (the elastic one shown in the first link). They're inexpensive, and when I started playing trigger capos were not widely available.

The downside to them is the pressure - the plastic lever that's used to close the capo has a cam end to it... when you close the lever, you'll put more and more pressure on the strings - which is then released as the lever flips over its vertical limit and falls into the slot. So in order to get enough pressure for the capo to fret the strings, you'll put a lot more pressure on than you really need, and you'll do it twice - when you put the capo on, and when you take it off.

That's going to shorten your string life. If you're putting it close to the fret wire it'll shorten string life dramatically... and if you put it farther back, you'll be using even more pressure, increasing fret wear. (You'll also be moving it around more often to get the intonation right, repeating the pressure cycle)

I use a Kyser Quick-change now. They make a model with a softer spring that's designed for electric guitars.

They're about 3 times the price of elastic ones... but that difference is the cost of 1-3 sets of strings, so using a trigger capo like Kyser or Shubb instead will pay for itself in about a year or so.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

So in order to get enough pressure for the capo to fret the strings, you'll put a lot more pressure on than you really need, and you'll do it twice - when you put the capo on, and when you take it off.

I agree, they're a pretty crude device really.

They are also limited by the distance between those "teeth". Depending on the neck size and the width of the frets at the spot where you put the capo, it can be a bit too slack if you use one tooth, but very tight if you use the next one.

There may be some adjustment possible on that blue strap to get round that problem (with some types there's no adjustment) but even so it would be a fiddle to do. If you intend using a capo often then it's probably worth getting a better one.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I agree. Shubb get my vote, too.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@zilla)

Um...not to sound completely stupid, but what is a Capo and what is it for?

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

From the American heritage dictionary:
Capo:
A small movable bar placed across the fingerboard of a guitar or similar instrument so as to raise the pitch of all the strings uniformly.
There is a pretty good description with pictures here:
http://www.answers.com/topic/capo

ReplyQuote