Clear all

This is a blast to play!

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, this isn't really a question, or an answer, and its not really a whole song (hence it not beign in the easy song forum), but I got bored the other day and I decided I needed another one of those "pick me up" riffs - you know the ones - simple to play, but they are just a blast so you just play it over and over again! Well, Aerosmith - Walk This Way was the one I found. You will probably laugh at me for having such a good time with it because of how easy it is, but its just so much fun. Here is how I have been playing it:

e------------------------|-----------------|
B------------------------|-----------------|
G------------------------|-----------------|
D------------------------|-----------------|
A-------7---------7--------|-------7------7-|
E-5h6h7---5h6h7----5-5----|-5h6h7---5h6h7---5-|

Instead of just hammering on with the tip of my finger on the 7th fret, I just kind of lay the top part of my finger down, so you are already fretting the 7th fret on the 'A' string. Throw a bit of distortion on, and I promise you wont be able to help but really crank the volume up! ;) That tab isn't really accurate, as on the record there are some parts that are muted, but just kind of go with it, and you just throw those parts in as you feel fit.

Anyway, have fun! :D

EDIT: I must be pretty slow or something...I can't seem to get this tab to line up properly...more edits!! Oh yea, and if anyone wants to correct that tab, or post the rest of it, that would be great...

(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

I remember just coming accross this about a year ago when just noodling around, an easier way to play it is;

e-----------------------------|------------------------------------------|
B-----------------------------|------------------------------------------|
G-----------------------------|-----------------------------2-----------|
D----------2---------2--------|----------2-----------2------2-----------|
A-0-1-2-------0-1-2-------2---|---0-1-2-----0-1--2------2---0-----------|
E-----------------------------|------------------------------------------|

After that, not a clue! lol But I agree about cranking up the distortion and volume, it's a great sounding little riff!

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@hanzo)
Trusted Member

Cranking up the distortion makes about any song fun. I remember from my learning guitar book I was getting bored of playing "Jimmy Crack Corn" and stuff so I just cranked the distortion up and played it at double the tempo and sang along in a faux british punker voice. It was way funner that way.

ReplyQuote
(@midway-man)
Estimable Member

Hey man, though-es arnt hammer ons in walk this way!!!

"You can drive a song or you can make it sit still."

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Reincarnate - That's the way to play it but they aren't playing hammerons on the record they pick each note.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

Cheers for the correction guys, it's been a good while since I played it!

Pete

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, this is probably a pretty stupid question, but for the sake of my ear, how do you tell the difference between picking notes quickly, and hammering on to the notes? I am not doubting that they aren't hammer ons in this song, but just for future reference, how can you tell? Also, can hammer ons be replaced by fast picking, and vice versa? Don't laugh too hard! :D Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@stengah)
Trusted Member

A lot of artists record stuff with all the notes picked cleanly, but arrange it to be eaiser to play live. Hammer/pull is a little easier sometimes, but you get to where you can tell the difference after you play for a while.

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

Its kinda hard to explain how the difference sounds, but when playing individual notes you can 'hear' each note being plucked / picked, when you play a hammer on or pull off the two notes 'blend' together;

Individual notes played sounds like Doo - Doo - Doo

Hammer on / pull off played sounds like Doo-ooh-ooh

Make sense?

Pete

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Perfect explanation, I'd been trying to put it into words myself and couldn't :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Its kinda hard to explain how the difference sounds, but when playing individual notes you can 'hear' each note being plucked / picked, when you play a hammer on or pull off the two notes 'blend' together;

Individual notes played sounds like Doo - Doo - Doo

Hammer on / pull off played sounds like Doo-ooh-ooh

Make sense?

Pete

Makes perfect sense :) Thanks!

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

well technically that riff that reincarnate wrote out is not totally correct. I'd post the correct version but not sure how to do that on here.

If you look at the code reincarnate wrote he has two measures when there should be four. The first measure is correct, then for the second time instead of playing the note on the 2nd fret of the 5th string you play the note on the 3rd fret of the 6th string then play the note at the 2nd fret of the four string, then play the first measure again then play the last measure he wrote.

When they play the same riff later in the song they don't play that G note on the 6th string only do that for the intro.

Hope that made sense

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote