Clear all

I need a favor!

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@hughmoris)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Alright, I'm not sure if this is in the right spot, but as I am a beginner and I have a question, I figured this would be the best fit....

I am hoping that someone could play, record and post the .mp3 of Gustavo Santaollala's The Wings on an acoustic, which is the main theme song from Brokeback Mountain. The only word I can think of to describe this song is beautiful. Its amazing, how several guitars can tell such a story.

The song itself seems rather easy to play, but as a beginner I cannot really get the feel for it. I've listened the song over and over, but it has several guitars playing at once so its hard for me to weed out the main one.

Here is the tab for it: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/misc_soundtrack/brokeback_mountain_-_the_wings_tab.htm

For those who've never heard it, here is a little video clip with the song playing: http://youtube.com/watch?v=rldGu6cIMuE

Thanks!

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

that song, probably being popular now because of the movie, should be Tabbed by now somewhere. where to look? no idea.
the second guitar you hear is a pedal steel guitar. no way will you be able to play that part.
the first guitar is straight forward enough. sounds like C and fingering pairs of strings in a scale.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

:!: EDIT; See my post further down for full TAB with chords and fingerpicking :!:

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@hughmoris)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Pete,

That tab sounds a good deal better. Now I can't really hear the strumming part of the song because of several guitars playing...anyway someone could upload the song on soundclick or something?

*I tried your soundclick link, didnt see it on there.

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

Ah, sorry about that I took it off with the intention of recording a better quality one and didn't do it.

I shall re-record and post it on my soundclick page by tomorrow (30th) evening with the strumming pattern I've used for the solo version, I'll try and TAB out the strum pattern too.

Pete

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

OK the song is loaded onto my soundclick page now, it's still not that good (mainly thanks to my playing :P) but it should certainly help you with the strumming part at least.

What I'd suggest is reading through my TAB, look at the chords used and get to know them first (they are all simple so it shouldn't take long), then read through the TAB again while listening to the recording.

Here's what I used;

e-----------1-----0--------------|
B--0-1-3-----------------1-1--0--|
G--------------------------------|
D-----------0--------------------|
A----0-2----------3--------------|
E--3--------------------------3--|

e-----------------------------|
B-0--1-0----------------------|
G----------2------0----0--0---|
D----------0------------------|
A----0------------3-----------|
E-3----3------------------3---|

repeat both sections for intro

The Chords I used are these;
NOTES
(I don't know some of the names so they are labelled 1, 2, 3, 4 and ?)
(Also most of these chords are not using all of the strings they would normally use)
(A lot of TABs suggest playing this with barre chords, but this is the open way I play it)

G 230033
G2 23003x
G3 2300xx
G4 230xxx

Am x0201x

Dm xx0231

C x3201x
C9 x320xx

? x002xx

The pattern (as best I can descibe it) is;

G3 once
Am once
G2 once
Dm twice
C twice
C to G3 quickly

G3 once
Am once
G2 once
Dm twice
C once
C to G (full strum)

G3 once
Am once
G2 once
Dm twice
C twice
C to G3 quickly

G3 once
Am once
G2 once
? once
c9 once
c9 to G4 quickly

The last parts of the song repeats some of the above, listen and you'll hear which ones.
You can play the parts as much as you want, there is no real "outro" to my version I guess!

Hope that this is of help, it's not a *hard* piece by any means, but I think that getting the feeling right is quite hard :)

Pete

ReplyQuote
(@hughmoris)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Reincarnate,

Thanks alot, that is exactly what I am looking for.

ReplyQuote