Clear all

thumb or pick?

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 Page
(@page)
Topic starter  

Ive been playing for a couple of moths and i prefer to pick notes with my thumb but can only play chords with a pick. This causes problems when I play songs that have picking notes and chords because i end up choosing between the too. Can anyone help me?

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

If you're playing with your thumb to pick notes, you'll want to use one of two techniques for chords:

Either you 'pluck' the chord - using the thumb on the bass note, and the index, middle, and ring fingers for the upper notes (if the chord has more than four notes, your index finger and/or thumb will keep going to strike more than one string)...

or you'll use the backs of your nails to strum - the nails on the fingers on the downstroke, the nail of your thumb on the upstroke.

In theory, you'll end up being faster using a pick, so you might want to keep practicing that - but there are great guitarists who don't use picks who develop plenty of speed on chords (Paco de Lucia, Wes Montgomery, etc.)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 bltc
(@bltc)
Trusted Member

Another technique that I use is using the back of my index finger nail as a 'pick' to strum. What I simply do is pretend I'm holding a pick and strum away.

I find doing this helpful for songs in which you want to add-lib on chords.

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

You could try some tumb picks.

http://www.music123.com/Dunlop-Thumb-Pick-12-Pack-i95707.music

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@pyaara_wala)
Eminent Member

must be hard, thumb pickin

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

Learn to do both. I use both ways in the course of a song, as picking with a thumb is softer.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote