Clear all

Tinny sound with a pick

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@brucie97)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

As some of you may know I have just begun learning the ways of the guitar. I have been reading a lot about different styles of playing; such as flatpicking as opposed to fingerpicking on acoustic. Ok so my question is when I strum I generally use my thumb, the part on the side next to my fingernail because I found it to be fairly consistant when I strum. I would like to be able to use a pick as well, but it seems to make a very tinny noise, is it because I am 'digging in' with my pick or is it just a natural sound that the steel strings make on contact with a pick? I like the pick because it is much louder, but along with the 'tinnyness' it also seems to accent my mistakes (which make me wish for a quiet sound haha). Will this hopefully correct itself with more practice or?

Thanks! Bruce.

(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

There could be several things at work here. The thickness of the pick will affect the sound, as will the angle of the pick to the strings, also where you strum, i.e. closer to the bridge will sound tinny compared to closer to the neck. But in general, I think that a pick has a sharper tone than a finger, but a lot more volume. I have picks from .46mm to 1.14 mm, but the one I use most is a Fender Light, with a hole punched in the middle for better grip. It's a little thicker than my .5mm, it has some authority but it doesn't "trip" over the strings.

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You can get a more rounded tone by changing the pick. Most people start with either a thin pick or a medium, which is probably what you have.
Heavy "Jazz" picks will give you a much softer sound - try a 3mm Dunlop Big Stubby ( http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/picks&cat=6 and scroll down).
You can also try a different material - "tortoiseshell" and "celluloid" picks will give a rounded tone - real tortoiseshell (and real celluloid ?) are no longer available, but have very close substitutes.
You could also try a thumb-pick made of one of these materials ( http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=55&pmh=products/picks )

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

You can get a more rounded tone by changing the pick. Most people start with either a thin pick or a medium, which is probably what you have.
Heavy "Jazz" picks will give you a much softer sound - try a 3mm Dunlop Big Stubby ( http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/picks&cat=6 and scroll down).

Is it called a "jazz pick" because you can come closer to the classic jazz tone? Wes used his thumb, but do most everybody else use these types along with a hollowbody electric?

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member

The pick material definitely does make a difference and you should try several different kinds. The tortex (my fave) and delrex sound brighter than celuloid, which has a softer, mellower tone. Very light picks make a slapping sound which I find annoying. I use .73 for strumming and .80 for picking, but try different ones and you will soon find a favorite.

I think the shape of the pick also makes a difference. I don't care much for the standard teardrop shape, because I think it leaves too much tip sticking out for clean picking. Might be ok for strumming, though. But I've gotten use to the rounded triangle shape and much prefer it. Plus, you can use any of the 3 tips, so they last longer. Thumbpicks are nice for fingerpicking, but for regular strumming you'll probably want to be able to strum up as well as down, and that is awkward with a thumbpick.

You might also consider changing your strings. Better strings can make a difference in both the sound and the feel, and some instruments come with cheapo strings.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Is it called a "jazz pick" because you can come closer to the classic jazz tone? Wes used his thumb, but do most everybody else use these types along with a hollowbody electric?

The only common denominator I can find among so-called "jazz picks" is that they are stiff. Thickness seems to range from ~1.3mm (Dunlop Jazz IIIs) to 3.0mm or heavier. Materials vary from plastic to stone. Shape varies from very pointy to round.

Just look at the variety of shapes and sizes for the Dunlop Jazztones (though they are all the same material and are all 2.0mm.)

I use those Jazztones (206 and 207) for my bass, and in my opinion they come reasonably close to the tone I get playing fingerstyle, compared to other picks I've tried. And they are indeed very dark/mellow/jazzy on electric guitar compared to the .73mm Ultex picks I regularly use.

But only a hollow body can make a hollow body sound. :)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@brucie97)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok, well I'm going to drop by the music store today so I'll grab some new picks to try out, kinda forgot about that with my initial purchase, was just pumped to go play. I'll keep ya posted :)

ReplyQuote