103 Posts
40 Users
0 Likes
13.7 K Views
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I agree.

You have to define success.

Jadiny, yours is easy. You want to sing in a band and play guitar? Make a plan and go do it. Even if you just started it would be a piece of cake to achieve this goal within a year. Just do it.

I played rhythm guitar in a heavy metal band in the 80s, less than two years after picking up a guitar. I actually made a living doing it for a while. I was 20.

Success isn't some nebulous thing. You must define the end goal.

If you don't know where you are going, how will you know when you get there?

Break down your goals into manageable pieces. For instance:

Goal:

Learn to play 3 fingerstyle guitar pieces to play at Christmas Church service.

Result? Success. I did this last year.

Goals can be multi- parters:

Goal: Quit my day job by the end of 2005

Increase my students to 25
Complete the memorizing the fretboard CD for sale
Complete the guitar cleaning kit/instruction manual
Finish the songwriting workbook
Figure out the tax liabilities

If you can break things into specific tasks, you can be successful.

ReplyQuote
(@morpheus)
Trusted Member

There's no perfect age, no perfect equipment, no magic. There's just you. You may try and succeed, you may try and fail; if you don't try - well, the outcome is certain.

Do people who make it just get lucky? Sure. Luck's a huge factor... being in the right place at the right time with the right band, etc. But you know what?

Chance favors the prepared.

True for almost everything in life, not just guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@musroc)
Eminent Member

Dont let it stop you from playing. I started when I was late 15 and now I'm 17, turning 18 in april but I've believed in myself ever since I took my guitar in my hand. I've practised and gave it my best and I know I've improved. The more you practise, the better you become. You can be the greatest guitarist of all time if you have just have faith in yourself and you devote yourself entirely to music. There is no age limit to determine whether one can play music. A 5 year old child can play and not be a good guitarist in 10 years but even if you play hard enough for 5 years ....... you are gonna be a lot better. just believe yourself and respect music. Respect your instrument. Every time I leave my axe, it calls me back to it. But for some reason, I love music as much as I love my life and its will always be the same, so just practise and practise and do well.. in a few years time , you can be someone you wouldn't believe yourself to be ........ Rock on! :arrow: :arrow: Musical Madness :arrow: :arrow:

ReplyQuote
(@jadiny)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

keep rockin musroc :D . yeh i will give it my best shot and stop winging :roll: . its true you just have to devote yourself to music so right thanks for the advice guys and girls.

p.s has anyone learnt alot in two months

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions small people always do that, but the really great ones make you feel that you too, can become great.

--Mark Twain

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

p.s has anyone learnt alot in two months
Well, that depends on which two months. Early on it probably doesn't seem like a lot of progress in two months. As you improve, you will likely gain alot more in two months time.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

hmmm, I have a new student who has been to three lessons.

She can play CAGED, has a good percussive stroke, and can fingerpick.

We've worked out For what it's worth, Horse with no name, Nights in White Satin and Brain Damage. That's in three weeks.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I think you actually learn more in the beginning, and the learing curve gets pretty steep pretty fast... :D

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

well then, maybe it's just these old fingers

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@jadiny)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

she learnt all that in three weeks. god is thats supposed to be inspirational its depressing i must be even thicker than i thought :oops:
if she learnt all that you must be a good teacher nick she's lucky dude.

thanks anyway :(

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions small people always do that, but the really great ones make you feel that you too, can become great.

--Mark Twain

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I started when I was 18, and I'm about 14 months in right now. Go for it.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@jadiny)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

are you any good? how many songs can you play metaellihead ? whats the most songs anyone can play here.

--Mark Twain

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

umm, that isn't really a way to figure out if someone is good.

I can play any song.

There are huge books called fake books that give you chords and melodies for thousands of songs.

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

I started learning with dedication last year. Last September I started taking it more seriously, and it seems with every semester that passes with me taking lessons, i get more dedicated and more serious about it.

So I've been learning seriously for about a year; I can play whole songs now, I can play several scales fluidly at four notes in a beat at 60 beats per minute, I can identify the hallmarks of certain styles in playing, my understanding of theory has improved greatly, I'm sharing rhythm and lead duties in a dual-guitar band on my campus, and I'm doing a lot better in my other studies because my mind is clearer, my outlook is more positive, and I have more energy because now I feel I have a worthy pursuit in life, and I know I can only get better at it with time.

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

are you any good? how many songs can you play metaellihead ? whats the most songs anyone can play here.

I've not been learning lots of songs by other artists/guitarists, though I've written two of my own and am working on two more. I'm not in any huge rush to learn, I've got the rest of my life to do it after all. I'm getting some scales down and want to work on increasing my chord repitoire. Plus, I hope to buy and electric soon.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@jadiny)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

oh yeah its probably the best thing to do meta. learn alot of the chords good luck.
surely when you play guitar the thing people ask is do you know alot of songs and can you play them well its the point of learning it isnt it. so you can sing and play. i didn't quite understand what nick said.

--Mark Twain

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 7