Clear all

Traveling With Guitar

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone. I have a question about traveling with an electric guitar for you. I need to get it back home, on an airplane, and I was wondering about the best way to do that. At first I was told to buy a flight case for it, and just check it with the rest of my luggage, but then another guitar shop told me to just unbolt the neck, and pack the body and neck in my suitcase. Would that be a good option? Would I have to get it setup when I got home, or is there a chance the neck or body could break easily? Just looking at the options. Thanks,

-jon

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I have never traveled by air with a guitar, but many have posted on other forums that the best way is to unbolt the neck and put the guitar in a carry on bag.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

buy it a window seat....but skip the in flight meal :lol: :roll:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I have never traveled by air with a guitar, but many have posted on other forums that the best way is to unbolt the neck and put the guitar in a carry on bag.
+1

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@montezuma)
Estimable Member

I took my guitar on a long haul flight. Its an acoustic and I bought a hard case for it. I said i didn't want to check it in & they allowed me to take it on board, no hassles. In the cabin they put it in the cupboard with the suits so it had a comfy ride.
If you are going on a short haul flight or in a smaller plane they may not have room in the cabin so the advice about taking it apart seems the best (though it seems to be a bit of a pain to have to do that).
I would phone the airline.
Ola

“Poetry and Hums aren't things which you get, they're things which get you. And all you can do is go where they can find you.” - Winnie the Pooh

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well, looks like the unbolting the neck may be the way to go? Only problem is, I wouldn't be able to put it in a carry on bag - it would have to be checked - bad idea? I will call the airline about carrying it on, but I think I am only allowed to carry one bag on, and I already have a laptop that has to come with me.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

a laptop ccould be compared to a purse or handbag that women always carry on board. I bet you could have a soft gig bag, without even unbolting the neck, and have the flight attendants store it in the front compartment with the baby strollers etc. someone posted that idea and I like it. I would not put it in with the rest of the luggage in cargo without a superior hard flight case.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member

Well I just brought back my old classical guitar from France and despite the 'strictly-one-piece-of-hand-luggage' paranoia, they let me have it on board with me. And on a low-cost airline too. It shouldn't be too much of a problem, I suppose it all depends on which country you're travelling from.

ReplyQuote
(@joefish)
Trusted Member

I just traveled from Phoenix to Santa Fe and back again over the Thanksgiving holidays. I decieded to take the plung and travel with my acuoutic this time for the first time. I found a nice website that explained alot of things and gave me the confidence to do it.

http://www.win.net/mainstring/carryon.html

I flew Southwest. I took my Takamine, loosened the strings and packed it in a hard case (chipboard actually) so it wouldn't move. I then confidently passed ticketing, through security, and up to the gateway. I asked the flight attendant on board the plane if I needed to gate-check (which I was willing to concede to if necessary) and she assured me it would fit in the overhead baggage compartment, which it did. I mentioned that I was concerned about being a full flight and how I didn't want to bogart the storage space and she assured me that if they ran out of space, she could stow it in the wheelchair storage compartment. On the trip back, I just carried it on board. No questions asked. It helps to get on the aircraft as soon as possible and be courtious not combative. Don't bring it in a gig bag exptecting to get on board because you may not and, well, sending your guitar into never-never land in the belly of the plane in a bag would suck.

==================
Pat
joefish
SilverBox

"Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice".
Robert Fripp

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Well, looks like the unbolting the neck may be the way to go? Only problem is, I wouldn't be able to put it in a carry on bag - it would have to be checked - bad idea? I will call the airline about carrying it on, but I think I am only allowed to carry one bag on, and I already have a laptop that has to come with me.

Check with the airline, some airlines don't count a laptop as a carry-on item.

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Just a little update - I ended up taking the neck off, and just putting it and the body in with my clothes and other stuff in a suitcase - I put some padding around it, checked it at the luggage counter, and hoped for the best. It turned out to be fine - now I just need to get some strings for it, and it will be ready to go - hopefully working fine. Just in case anyone was thinking about doing the same, now you know it works...for me anyway. :)

ReplyQuote
(@zuo-yi-long)

I have to get 2 guitars to China when I go soon, an electric acoustic and classical acoustic. Thanks for the link Joefish. Has anyone tried the 'gate check' option? Ie, storing the guitar in the hold as you board?

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

I have an inexpensive guitar that I travel with often. I bought a flight case (which actually costs more than the guitar) and just check it with my luggage. The airlines have only lost it once (this past Christmas) and it took a week for them to find it (I was travelling within the US and somehow my guitar made it to Manilla and back). Otherwise, no problem.

If I was travelling with my LP or Strat or Martin, I would definitely carry it on board. You see a lot of people doing it, so it must not be that bid of a deal.

Jim

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote