Clear all

triangular problem

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@sodalime)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

well I don't consider myself a beginner (anymore) but can't find a better section to put this topic in. so here it goes.

recently I'm planning to form a regular trio with guitar-bass-drums.
we're not trying to be a jazz trio, and we're certainly not a noisy/crazy rock band either.

my question to you is this:
if the guitar player plays a les paul
and the bass player plays a fender jazz bass
what's the most suitable 5-piece drums set to complement the music?

just to make myself clear, by 5-piece I mean bass/snare/(1 or) 2 toms/floor tom (plus hi-hats, 1 crash, 1 ride).
anyone got any useful suggessions? pearl? tama? yamaha? does zildjian have a full set?

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Wouldn't the drummer know this? Not to be a wise a@@ or anything, but I would think most any acoustic drum sets would fit the bill. No he might after awhile find his bass drum sound isn't deep enough or his snare is to tin-ny sounding but I don't think becaue one of you plays a Les Paul and the other a Jazz bass there is some "correct" drum set to buy.

He'll probably use whatever drumset he already owns.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@sodalime)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

our drummer doesn't own any sets, and never did.
otherwise I wouldn't be asking, would I? :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Well, between amps and pickup configurations, the guitar and bass could blend a bunch of different ways, so it would be hard for someone to give a definitive answer I think.
If a shop knows you're serious about buying a kit, maybe they'll let you 'rent to own'. Try a couple of kits and have the total rental cost applied against the purchase.
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Did your drummer ever drum before? I can't beleive you'd ask this question if the drummer has actually played drums before :shock:

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

There are no formulas (formulae?) for something like this -- just popular trends, which keep going until someone comes along and shocks everyone with the new and cool way of putting together the pieces of a band. And years later the (now former) bandmates admit their unique line-up was created because nobody had instrument X, so they had to get by with instrument Z. Trends are made to be broken; most iconoclasts are created by accident.

Your drummer should get what (s)he would like to play.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I would go to a music store that gives drum lessons and have an experienced drum teacher sit down with your drummer and discuss the types of tones he is after and try a few different kits. Kits sound very different, there are kits for Jazz type tones and kits suited more for Rock.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@stacktrayce)
Eminent Member

I'm certainly no expert on this and am just a beginner, but I have heard a particular local band live a handful of times and their drummer (who is awesome by the way) uses a yamaha drumset and the bassist sometimes uses a J-Bass. The guitarist usually uses a fender telecaster though. Anyway, that is as close as I've heard and it sounded great, drums definitely cut through and you could hear every instrument individually. One thing their drummer has on his set which I was not used to seeing is an especially small cymbal or crash (6-8").

ReplyQuote
(@mahal)
Estimable Member

well I don't consider myself a beginner (anymore) but can't find a better section to put this topic in. so here it goes.

recently I'm planning to form a regular trio with guitar-bass-drums.
we're not trying to be a jazz trio, and we're certainly not a noisy/crazy rock band either.

my question to you is this:
if the guitar player plays a les paul
and the bass player plays a fender jazz bass
what's the most suitable 5-piece drums set to complement the music?

just to make myself clear, by 5-piece I mean bass/snare/(1 or) 2 toms/floor tom (plus hi-hats, 1 crash, 1 ride).
anyone got any useful suggessions? pearl? tama? yamaha? does zildjian have a full set?
:?
A brand name is just a brand name. The question is the same as saying a Yamaha guitar with no model information and no clear information on the sound you are looking for. Most druummers I know just play the set available to them because of the pain of breakdown and set up. The next step is to bring their own snare, then cymbals then finally the entire kit.

Jazz kits tend to have a smaller bass drum 18" then rock 20" kits but in the end just as with guitars the tone is much more complicated, heads and how they are tuned for example, then just the Ludwig, Pearl or Yamaha commercial brand. Never seen a Zildjian trap, just cymbals and accessaries. Anyway you will be paying for reliability of the hardware, the cymbal stands, kick drum and hat pedals, more then just the drums themselves.

If you have the budget you might consider electronic drums. You can then dail in the tone you want from African, Asian or Latin percussion to the normal jazz or rock tone.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Let the drummer figure it out. Do you ask you doctor how he should configure his operation? Unless you KNOW drums, let him or her do it.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@mahal)
Estimable Member

Let the drummer figure it out. Do you ask you doctor how he should configure his operation? Unless you KNOW drums, let him or her do it.
:D

I got the feeling that "the drummer" is the son or daughter and besides being the guitar player he is the bank.

ReplyQuote