Clear all

Trying to record guitar

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone. I recently decided that I would like to record myself playing, just for reference. I have Behringer GMX110 amp, and it has a headphones jack, a stereo jack, and a tape out (2 RCA connectors). I am not totally sure how to get that into my computer, so what I did was take an a cable that has RCA connectors on 1 end, and a 1/8" plug on the other, and I put the RCA connectors into the tape out on the amp, and the 1/8" plug into the line in on my computer (an Inspiron 9100 laptop).

I then just pressed record with the build in windows sound recorder (just to see if it works). The problem is that although it does record, there is a "crackling" noise that is consistent throughout the recording. I also tried connecting another RCA-1/8" cable to the stereo out (so now I have a 1/4"-1/8"-RCA-RCA-1/8"), but that also caused crackling (although this time I could hear the crackling coming from the amp speaker as well).

I can't seem to figure out how to get it setup so that it records a nice clean sound. I have tried using the cheap mic that came with the computer, but it caused all sorts of distortion (actually sounded pretty cool, but doesn't work at all for a clean sound!). If anyone knows what the problem is, I am all ears!

Thanks in advance for any help :)

(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

Take a look at this post. Great stuff to get you started.

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=27036

More good information:

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=18870

These should help get you started, then don't hesitate to ask the experts. They're always happy to help out.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

You need to turn down the input level on your PC. Double click on the little speaker icon on your tool bar. Under options select properties. You can then click the box that says recording. This will give you your input volume controls. The crackling is digital distortion. You are on the right track. Your incoming signal is just too hot. When you get it to work, I suggest downloading Audacity. It is a recording program with effects and multi-tracks. It's free and works great!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@wideawake)
Trusted Member

I couldn't get audacity to work tbh, so i jsut use some software by creatve which came coupled with my soundcard ;(

You sing in praise of suicide, we know you're useless, like cops at the scene of the crime.

The sky is a landfill.

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

You need to turn down the input level on your PC. Double click on the little speaker icon on your tool bar. Under options select properties. You can then click the box that says recording. This will give you your input volume controls. The crackling is digital distortion. You are on the right track. Your incoming signal is just too hot. When you get it to work, I suggest downloading Audacity. It is a recording program with effects and multi-tracks. It's free and works great!

I gave turning the volume down (all the way to just the first notch), but the crackling is just the same. The weird thing is that if I go out of the amp through the headphones jack, I hear the crackling through the amp speaker (but obviously the guitar doesn't play through the amp speaker), but if I go through the RCA tape out on the amp, I don't hear crackling on the amp speaker. Either way, it still sounds on the recording no matter which output on the amp I use.

Would it help if I posted a little sound clip? Thanks for the help!

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, I messed around a little more in Nero Wave Editor, and its almost like the computer is feeding back to the amp. When I go to record, if I adjust the input volume up and down, I can hear the crackling in the amp changing a little bit when I move the input volume slider around. Not really sure whats going on, or how to fix it though.

ReplyQuote