Clear all

Tuned Down Tab

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Maybe a silly question, but if you find tab on the internet and the guitars are tuned 1/2 step down, can you play the song in normal tuning (assuming that you're not playing along with a CD or something)?

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Yep. The whole thing will just sound a little higher than it does on the CD. You might have to push your voice a little to reach then high notes if you're singing along, but other than that there's no real difference.

There's a lot of software that'll alter the pitch of CDs and MP3s too, you could shift the CD up a step to play along. Or, if you have a multi-fx that does it, you could have the harmony unit play one fret down, turn down the original signal and play through headphones. That works quite well, but you need to either be loud or use headphones so that you're only hearing the processed electrical sound and not the physical sound :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member

I've used Audacity (free software) to tune music up half a step and save it so I don't have to tune the guitar down. It won't sound exactly the same, but it should sound fine. That way, you can play along and be in the same key.

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I've used Audacity (free software) to tune music up half a step and save it so I don't have to tune the guitar down. It won't sound exactly the same, but it should sound fine. That way, you can play along and be in the same key.

Me as well. The same technique is handy to transpose something into a key you're more comfortable with, even if it's in standard tuning. I had a BT of something that was in Bb and I wanted to play it in A, so into Audacity and down it went.

Don

ReplyQuote
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks. I figured I could, but wasn't aware of the software. I'll have to check that out.

ReplyQuote