Clear all

Tuning a guitar!

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@zorial)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone. I know tuning is a simple task for most people, but I don't even have my guitar yet. I'm worried about tuning and I've read up on it a little. Were most people "afraid" of tuning their guitar and am I supposed to feel like this? What Im asking is what is the normal way to feel before you even get a guitar and will I feel better about tuning it after I get it? Thank you all very much! 8)

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

If you have not considered an electronic tuner it will be awhile before you feel comfortable tuning your guitar. An electronic tuner is well worth the money and some decent ones can be found for about $20 to $30. Besides the guitar it is the best investment you can make.

You can also find some free PC based tuners that use the PC microphone to listen to the guitar and tell you the state of the tuning.

Do a search on the internet for "electronic guitar tuner" and you will find a lot of info.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

By the way, welcome to guitarnoise. Your in the right place for learning about your new journey.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

If you decide to buy a tuner, go for a chromatic tuner. That will allow for alternate tunings later. They are only a couple of extra bucks.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@zorial)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

COOL! I get one of those in my beginners pack. So that should make it easier. Do I need to worry if I break a few strings or do most people do that?

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Guilty...I've broken a couple (in the past) and there really is no excuse for it. Haste makes waste.

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@strife)
Eminent Member

if you search for ap guitar tuner through a search engine it will give you a cool program you can install in like five sencond. with a microphne it turn your computer into a tuner. also works with other stringed instrumments

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

Yeah that tuner that comes in your pack will definitely make it easier to tune your guitar. They're not difficult to use. And yeah, you'll probably break a few strings, most of us do.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@matthew)
Trusted Member

A few months into playing, I think I was changing strings for the second time, I managed to break the 4th string! Acoustic!!!

I was tightening, and I was going up and down and I just couldn't get the needle even in the range on the electronic tuner so it'd say anything helpful... Once you go up an octive it'll say flat even though you're WAAAAYYYY to high.

I tell ya, it was TIGHT when it went bang. Got a nasty scrape on my hand. Luckily that was the only place it hit me. More importantly my guitar was fine too!

Anyway, I have broken the odd 1st or 2nd string here and there, but not for a long time. I guess I learnt my lesson when I almost lost an eye.

Hope I didn't freak you out more. Just be careful the first few times until you get a feel for it. because when they DO break, they can really hurt you. Especially acoustics.

"Now people put you down for the way that you lived
But those people never knew you the way that I did
Don't be ashamed of who you were of how you died
I know you just wanted to find the brighter side..." - OPM

- Matthew

ReplyQuote
(@zorial)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the warning and Im glad Im getting an electric :D My bro is getting an acoustic though so Ill tell him to be careful too. Im gonna go read about adding new strings to your guitar incase I do break one or two. Thanks guys.

ReplyQuote