Tuning Guitar

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have a semi-acoustic guitar and a Korg GT-3 tuner which connects from the output on the guitar to the input on the tuner but sometimes I have difficulty in tuning because the led lights go all over the place. When all works well the yellow circle in the centre of the tuner remains yellow with only a little bit in the red either way towards sharp or flat.

The guitar has an eq on it for bass, mid, treble, brilliance and of course a volume control. Sometimes I feel these settings interfear with tuning the guitar so if you have any advice on how this should be set up I'd appreciate it as it would take some of the mystery / inconsistency out of tuning. Also to note is the battery for the tuner and pre-amp in the guitar have new batteries (9v).

It can be a bit frustrating and I even snapped a string earlier today which didn't please me... :? ...my fault, user error... :?

Thanks in advance.

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

With my acoustic / electric I find I need the volume turned up a fair bit for the tuner to act right. I think your volume setting could be a key here. Try tuning with different volume levels til you find one your tuner likes.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

OK,

Keep the volume level at the same volume for tuning all the strings? - right?

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Yup, when you find what that optimum volume is.

ReplyQuote
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

OK,

But what about the controls, bass, mid, treble and brilliance? - btw, the middle setting is neutral I think as it sits in a little ridge..correct me if i'm worng.

+ is to the left hand side and - is to the right hand side

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I'd start with them all neutral. The tuner might respond better if you adjust them but I'd start with them all in the middle.

ReplyQuote
(@slodogg)
Estimable Member

I'd start with them all neutral. The tuner might respond better if you adjust them but I'd start with them all in the middle.
If you all dont mind me getting in on this. So if your guitar is only plugged directly into the tuner, that said volume on the guitar makes a difference on the tunning? Cause i seem to have had the same problem as the poster of this thread, where as alot of times my tunner needle would keep bouncing into the red from the green. But ive never done anything with the volume, I just assumed it wouldnt matter any.

thanks alot !!

SLODOGG62

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

the volume doesn't change the tuning, but your volume knob has to be turned up enough to where the tuner can pick up the strings. me personally I turn the volume all the way up when tuning. for some reason my guitar also tunes better when I have both pickups on (middle position on the selector switch on my guitar)

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
(@slodogg)
Estimable Member

the volume doesn't change the tuning, but your volume knob has to be turned up enough to where the tuner can pick up the strings. me personally I turn the volume all the way up when tuning. for some reason my guitar also tunes better when I have both pickups on (middle position on the selector switch on my guitar)

thanks alot, maybe thats where my problem has been, my volume has been turned all the way down !!

SLODOGG62

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, turn the guitar volume all the way up to tune.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

always glad to help.

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

Depending on what I'm plugged into I've noticed that if my volume knob isn't cranked to max I can hear some noise, or I did one day, I haven't reconfirmed that, it could affect things if you have a similar deal. On my tuner (Korg GA-20) it has an 'auto' and a manual string setting, if I leave it on auto it's all over the place and bounces back and forth and can't always make up it's mind which string I'm trying to tune to, most of the time when I'm tuning, I push the manual button and it'll cycle through the strings starting at the 6th string etc, I much prefer this behavior cause then it's at least on the right string and not bouncing around that way.

ReplyQuote