9 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi there,

just posting to ask, how many string types are there for the acoustic guitar? - Varying thicknesses etc...and advantages / disadvantages etc...and where is best to buy them?

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Strings come in guages and different sets of six (by manufacturer) don't necessarily have to have the exact same guages for each string E through E. One company's light might be another's super light or extra light. We usually refer to the guage of the strings by the guage of the high E string. Example; a set of 10's means the thinnest or high E string is .010 inches in diameter. This would be a thin set for an acoustic. Other common guages would be 11's 12's and 13's which are very heavy. The heavier the string, the better the tone but there is a trade off. They are harder to bend and hold down so they are harder to play. They also put more tension on your neck and cause more wear on your frets. Electric strings go as light as 8's and I have seen acoustic strings as light as 9's. It is purely a matter of preference.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Does this mean that thicker strings which are harder to play are also harder to snap?

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Ummm .. to a point, yeah, but I use 9's on my electrics and I never break a string.

ReplyQuote
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Ummm .. to a point, yeah, but I use 9's on my electrics and I never break a string.

Just asking... :wink: ...so I can learn!

ReplyQuote
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi TR,

I think I know what you mean but correct me if I'm wrong. I have had a light string on recently but I couldn't tell you what it was and the low pitch E string sounded like a piano / harsicord and not a guitar. Naturally, I may have it all wrong but that is why I'm posting here on guitar noise.

Regards

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

A single string can sound like that. It's when they are all played together and strummed that they sound like a guitar.

ReplyQuote
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Strings come in guages and different sets of six (by manufacturer) don't necessarily have to have the exact same guages for each string E through E. One company's light might be another's super light or extra light. We usually refer to the guage of the strings by the guage of the high E string. Example; a set of 10's means the thinnest or high E string is .010 inches in diameter. This would be a thin set for an acoustic. Other common guages would be 11's 12's and 13's which are very heavy. The heavier the string, the better the tone but there is a trade off. They are harder to bend and hold down so they are harder to play. They also put more tension on your neck and cause more wear on your frets. Electric strings go as light as 8's and I have seen acoustic strings as light as 9's. It is purely a matter of preference.

OK,

Preference would be to have a good sound...OK experienced players can use heavy-er / thicker strings but how much harder is it with a thicker string as apposed to a thinner string?

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

It's a good rule of thumb to start light thenwork up to your preference if you are a beginning guitarist. For a newbie it can be hard to hold down light strings. I myself settled on light strings because I like the way they play. I use 9's on my electrics and 10's on my acoustic. I have been playing for 30 years and can handle the heavier strings if I wish to. I have a resonator I play slide on that has 13's and I can fret and bend that without problems. I just prefer the lighter strings is all.

ReplyQuote