29 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi folks,

Not been playing that long and sometimes I snap strings (purely by accident) so is it best to replace all the strings or does it depend on how old the strings are?

(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

hi fraz.....if the strings aren't old then by all means just change the one...you'll have others as spares...if you want individual strings then you need a good music shop.

best start by buying at least one full set....but more would be better (budget allowing)...

are you breaking the same string regularly?

i see your other posts are related... strings come in gauges or thicknesses.....sizes are based on the high E string (thinnest) in mm's 0.9 being the thinnest as a rule (for electrics)....you as a beginner would be looking for strings that are easier to play so go for extra lights 0.10 mm......easier on your newbie fingers too :roll: the strings will usually come either in a box or pack with the gauge written on them...be sure to get the steel acoustic ones....not electric and defo not fo classical as they are steel for low strings and nylon for the high ones! :shock:

as your playing improves you can move up in thickness...more volume and a richer sound :wink:

hope that helps

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi There,

I don't snap strings often but I recently had them replaced as they were a couple of months old. I don't change them often at the moment as I'm a newbie guitarist who just plays melody from a book and is learning to strum very basically.

I do have a course of lessons with a little group and the chord playing has improved alot as I can get a good sound from most of the chords but stringing them together in a seamless fashion is the next thing to do.

To my frustration I tend to snap strings when I get in a muddle tuning the guitar. I have posted separate posts on this today. I dare say when I stop snapping strings tuning, I will snap strings playing... :? ...hopefully not because I'm trying to hone a smooth / delicate playing style where the harmony comes through so to speak as apposed to an in yer face dinge...if that makes any sense... :D

ReplyQuote
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Ballybiker,

Hi again, Is there a good place on the net to get mail order from? - I can get packs of strings but are they available seperately? - Maybe, I think they are not so I should buy a little stash of them. Just a few days ago I got the guitar strung in a shop and watched quite closely and I think I could do this myself but how much of the string do you put through the fret end? - Also, when you pull them out of the pack is it obvious which string is which?

Sorry if this is a daft question but the last thing I would want to do is to put the high b string on the high e string!!!...not that this would happen really but as I haven't strung the guitar yet I worry that it may go wrong....but I am an optimist....honest. :P

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

Hi There,

I don't snap strings often but I recently had them replaced as they were a couple of months old. I don't change them often at the moment as I'm a newbie guitarist who just plays melody from a book and is learning to strum very basically.

I do have a course of lessons with a little group and the chord playing has improved alot as I can get a good sound from most of the chords but stringing them together in a seamless fashion is the next thing to do.

To my frustration I tend to snap strings when I get in a muddle tuning the guitar. I have posted separate posts on this today. I dare say when I stop snapping strings tuning, I will snap strings playing... :? ...hopefully not because I'm trying to hone a smooth / delicate playing style where the harmony comes through so to speak as apposed to an in yer face dinge...if that makes any sense... :D

i should've read all your other posts....but it will be useful to someone...

right....tuning......sounds like you get a little heavy handed with the tuning pegs...or...more likely...you are tuned an octave too high!!!!.....you tuner will be telling you the correct note....but it cant tell you the pitch....your ears will though if you have something to compare with...try an online tuner.

Drool

ReplyQuote
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

I think possibly it could be a good idea if you could explain what the correct tension should be for the strings. In other words how tight or loose should the strings be? - Yes, I will look for an online tuner.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

Ballybiker,

Hi again, Is there a good place on the net to get mail order from? - I can get packs of strings but are they available seperately? - Maybe, I think they are not so I should buy a little stash of them. Just a few days ago I got the guitar strung in a shop and watched quite closely and I think I could do this myself but how much of the string do you put through the fret end? - Also, when you pull them out of the pack is it obvious which string is which?

Sorry if this is a daft question but the last thing I would want to do is to put the high b string on the high e string!!!...not that this would happen really but as I haven't strung the guitar yet I worry that it may go wrong....but I am an optimist....honest. :P

its not a daft question fraz.....we all had the same fears when we started...

right....the strings usually come in pairs when you open the box....they will be in little envelopes with the string names on (a fat one and a thin one so you cant mix em up).....or even better they will be colour coded at the bridge end,some even have their own envelopes...from there......

https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/stringing-and-cleaning-your-guitar/

Drool

ReplyQuote
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Ahh right,

Time to order some strings then! - I would like to get them online from a reputable retailer, any ideas?

ReplyQuote
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Ballybiker,

its not a daft question fraz.....we all had the same fears when we started...

right....the strings usually come in pairs when you open the box....they will be in little envelopes with the string names on (a fat one and a thin one so you cant mix em up).....or even better they will be colour coded at the bridge end,some even have their own envelopes...from there......

https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/stringing-and-cleaning-your-guitar/

Yeah,

I'm one string down as we speak as I snapped it this morning. As a newbie I have played for a couple of weeks, stopped for a couple of weeks, blown hot n cold with playing / not playing and now I have been playing or trying to... :D ...and I don't want to lose the momentum. A couple of days won't hurt if I don't play but I should get some strings in and have a little supply in case I snap one or incase all of them need replacing which may be the case if I play for a while without snapping during play / tuning.

This shows my newbie status...lol...which is / are the preferred string manufacturers?

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

here you go fraz......you wont keep breaking strings when you get the hang of things and as a beginner you dont need high quality strings as such....these will be fine

3 pack of 10 gauge will last you well into summer and musicianship :lol: 8)

you are in the uk i'm assuming?

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/stonefreestrings

Drool

ReplyQuote
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yeah,

I'm in the UK. I live in Manchester.

ReplyQuote
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

here you go fraz......you wont keep breaking strings when you get the hang of things and as a beginner you dont need high quality strings as such....these will be fine

3 pack of 10 gauge will last you well into summer and musicianship :lol: 8)

you are in the uk i'm assuming?

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/stonefreestrings

3 packs for £10, that's not too bad at all and I got spares too!..

ReplyQuote
(@hiram)
Trusted Member

Here's two sites where you can order single strings or sets: StringsbyMail.com, StringsandBeyond. If you are looking for Phos bronze Daddario makes a 10-50 and Ernie Ball makes a slinky 10-50. For me 10-50's were about right for lightweight while not being too hard on your fingertips. Anything lighter starts to sound tinny on my acoustic, I've tried numerous string types (too numerous to mention here).
As you progress you'll need to move up to heavier strings maybe 11-52's, three that I can recommend with no reservation are Dean Markley Blue Steel, DR's and Ernie Ball Slinky's, they sound good and last a reasonably long time. There is no Holy Grail strings for beginners as I learned, but 10-50's is a good place to start. Lord knows I have no expertise in this area just sharing my experience with you, hope that helps.

ReplyQuote
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

Just had a good close look at the strings on now and there are two silver ones which are the high e and b, also the g, d, a, and low e are a copper / gold colour. This, at present, means nothing to me. Any more info appreciated and thanks in advance... :)

ReplyQuote
(@hiram)
Trusted Member

Iknow it's confusing been there, but for the sake of boring everyone to death here check your PM box.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2