Clear all

If Strings Snap

29 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

Hi,

Just had a good close look at the strings on now and there are two silver ones which are the high e and b, also the g, d, a, and low e are a copper / gold colour. This, at present, means nothing to me. Any more info appreciated and thanks in advance... :)

its same on all fraz.....the 4 are wound with alloy but steel inside.....all strings are made this way...your not unique 8)

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi Ballybiker,

I have ordered a set of 10's. Just out of interest if you or me or anyone buys a new guitar what is the standard guage of string? - I do note your comments on certain manufacturers definition of guage varies, just like jeans or shoe sizes etc...

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

Hi Ballybiker,

I have ordered a set of 10's. Just out of interest if you or me or anyone buys a new guitar what is the standard guage of string? - I do note your comments on certain manufacturers definition of guage varies, just like jeans or shoe sizes etc...

not sure but i'd guess somewhere in the middle...maybe 11's up for durability.....the 10's you've ordered will be ideal.....just remember...when tuning ALWAYS tune upwards....ie flat (b) to sharp (#)....never the other way...then you wont ever snap a string while tuning :roll: 8)

Drool

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

And starting low and working up, if you are off an octave it will be an octave low. The string will be floppy and sound funny but you won't break it.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi Hiram,

It's not my intention to bore anyone.

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

fraz....while your waiting for your new strings to come you can practice tuning the five you have left...knowing if you break one you have new coming :P

firstly to check your tuner is set correctly 440 hz go to this site and see what your tuner does as each note is played....if the needle doesn't go to centre then you'll have to reset it.....if it does your on the money.....so watch and listen...then copy it on your guitar

hope it helps
http://www.8notes.com/guitar_tuner/default.asp?sstring=d

remember to make certain your strings sound the same...thats called the pitch ok

Drool

ReplyQuote
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi Ballybiker,

not sure but i'd guess somewhere in the middle...maybe 11's up for durability.....the 10's you've ordered will be ideal.....just remember...when tuning ALWAYS tune upwards....ie flat (b) to sharp (#)....never the other way...then you wont ever snap a string while tuning :roll: 8)

Two or three days ago I got the strings replaced though I didn't do this myself I did tune the guitar myself and it was OK but then two days later I over tune and snapped the E string.... :cry: ...and I thought, how did I or how could I do that? OK, I understand it's my error but I was kicking myself with frustration.....

ReplyQuote
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

fraz....while your waiting for your new strings to come you can practice tuning the five you have left...knowing if you break one you have new coming :P

firstly to check your tuner is set correctly 440 hz go to this site and see what your tuner does as each note is played....if the needle doesn't go to centre then you'll have to reset it.....if it does your on the money.....so watch and listen...then copy it on your guitar

hope it helps

remember to make certain your strings sound the same...thats called the pitch ok

The tuner I have is the GT-3 by Korg. OK, I bought it ten years ago but it is electronic so it should already be correct...shouldn't it?.

I will go to this site but do I need to plug my guitar in to the PC?

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

hope it helps

The tuner I have is the GT-3 by Korg. OK, I bought it ten years ago but it is electronic so it should already be correct...shouldn't it?.

I will go to this site but do I need to plug my guitar in to the PC?

it should have a built in microphone and wont need plugging in....thats if your pc has speakers of course...oh and i hope the batteries in your tuner are not 10 years old :roll: ...

Drool

ReplyQuote
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

This MIDI guitar tuner online is fab!!!... :D . This can be used in conjunction with my GT-3. I'm not sure if it's me imagining this but the hardware tuner seemed to respond better when the PC was spitting out the pitch via the MIDI tuner for each string. Also it has helped my ear slightly, so if I have the Korg GT-3 turned off and use the PC tuner to get as close as I can then I can double check by turning on the Korg GT-3 to fine tune if need be... :P

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

Hi,

This MIDI guitar tuner online is fab!!!... :D . This can be used in conjunction with my GT-3. I'm not sure if it's me imagining this but the hardware tuner seemed to respond better when the PC was spitting out the pitch via the MIDI tuner for each string. Also it has helped my ear slightly, so if I have the Korg GT-3 turned off and use the PC tuner to get as close as I can then I can double check by turning on the Korg GT-3 to fine tune if need be... :P

Thanks

well done fraz...your on your way....best way to learn is to try IMHO 8)

Drool

ReplyQuote
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

it should have a built in microphone and wont need plugging in....thats if your pc has speakers of course...oh and i hope the batteries in your tuner are not 10 years old ...

Yes, the tuner has a built in mic (I think) but I thought I may get better results plugging the output of the semi-acoustic into the input of the GT-3 guitar tuner, is this correct? - Or would it make no difference?

ReplyQuote
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

And starting low and working up, if you are off an octave it will be an octave low. The string will be floppy and sound funny but you won't break it.

Hi,

The guitar tuner online helped alot after I replaced my strings. Initially I was an octave too low but with my own tuner and the online tuner I now have the guitar at the correct pitch but it was confusing at on point because I realised the strings were too slack but as we are now it's OK, no broken strings!!! just a couple of mess ups whilst replacing them but it was my first time to replace the strings so I can't really complain too much.

ReplyQuote
(@dylan6776)
Estimable Member

I ALWAYS coil my strings up at the end and never cut them off...not only does it look cool, but should you happen to break a string whilst you're out and don't have a spare, you can uncoil it, tie a knot in the end and restring it! It works!

Ahh right,

Time to order some strings then! - I would like to get them online from a reputable retailer, any ideas?

Your answer to this; try VoxRoxGuitars on Ebay...excellent ultra-fast service and cheaper than most!!! I use them everytime.

Never assume the other fellow has intelligence equal to yours. He may have more.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2