Clear all

Tuning setup question

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@cheesebeard)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi all, this might be a stupid question but i was wondering if it is possible to change your string tuning in order to be able to play a song easier. For example I want to be able to play something like this :

E|---2-----2----2-----4-----4---4-----6-----6---6-----9----9----9------------------------------------------------------------
B|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------9----9----9------------------------------
G|-------------------------------------------------------6-----------------11---11-----------------------------------------
D|--4-----4-----4----6-----6----6-----8-----8---8---------11---11------------------11---11---11--------------------------------
A|--------------------------------------------------------------------------9-----9---------------------------------------------
E|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But i'm finding it very hard to play since the strings in the middle should be muted (when i play them open the tune sounds very muddy). I was wondering it its possible to play this on another string tuning apart from standard to make it any easier.

P.s. Sorry if my post is hard to understand, i'm not really sure how to explain what i'm trying to say :oops:.

Thanks for any help

(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

Hi, I think these should be picked rather than strummed.
Pick the notes on D/A with the pick and the ones on E/B with your middle finger.
At least, thats how I would do.

Vic

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@cheesebeard)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks i'll give it a try :).

Just realized that I forgot to mention that this should be played on an overdriven guitar. Would that make any difference?

Thanks again.

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member

Cheese - As has been said, I think this is a finger-picking piece.

If so, use your thumb on the 3 bass strings (fat EAD strings) and use your pointer* finger on the G string, middle finger on the B string and ring finger on the high E string.

You could just use your thumb (or pick) and pointer finger for everything. But, if you like this sort of playing then you will find times when you need to play 2 or 3 treble strings at the same time, so you'll need to use two or three fingers.

Look up some fingerstyle lessons or bass line lessons, there's a recent post by David about this

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

You could also try hybrid picking. Plectrum held between thumb and index finger playing the bottom notes, middle or ring finger plucking the higher notes.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@cheesebeard)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the help :)

ReplyQuote