Clear all

two notes on the same fret on adjacent notes how do YOU it

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@raina)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Sometimes you have to play two notes who are on adjacent strings, for example the high E on the 12th fret of the high E string and the high B on the 12th fret of the high B string (I don't mean a double stop). I'll better tab it out:

e-----------12--------------------
B----------------12---------------
G----------------------------------

and i especially try following lick:

e---15p12--------12--------15BU(17)------------
B------------15--------12-----------------------------
G--------------------------------------------------------

How would you play this? Would you try to somehow roll the same finger over to the B string or would you use two fingers to fret the e and the b??

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Depends on the circumstance. For your first example, I'd probably roll the finger. For the second, I'd barre them both.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@raina)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Depends on the circumstance. For your first example, I'd probably roll the finger. For the second, I'd barre them both.
barre them? but how would you mute them (at least when i play them barred i can't get to clearly separated notes)?

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

It's a matter of small bits of technique. Look at the riff:
e---15p12--------12--------15BU(17)------------
B------------15--------12-----------------------------
G--------------------------------------------------------

The tricky ones to separate are the 3rd and 4th picked notes, both on the 12th fret. You've got several options:

1. In picking the 12th fret B, bring the pick to rest on the E string. That puts you in position to the pick the E note, and dampens the string. There will be a bit of overlap, but it's a decent choice if the passage is legato.

2. In preparation for the G note, place your bending finger - the ring or pinky - at the same time as you play the B note. Placing that finger will dampen the E, giving you legato-to-staccato control depending on your timing.

3. If the whole passage (other than the pull-off and bend) is staccato, you can 'bounce' the fretting finger, dampening the notes even though it's a barre. All you need to do is ease up enough pressure to stop the strings.

4. If you've got your hand in a hybrid picking position, you can stop the E note with a free finger of the picking hand - I'd probably use the 3nd finger of my picking hand for this.

You could also roll it... but if the riff is fast, right hand techniques for stopping the E note can be really useful - you don't need to coordinate the motion with your fretting finger, as it's married to the production of the next picked note.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@raina)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Oh my.. thank you for the really useful and detailed explanation, would have never thought of this..

ReplyQuote