Two topics here

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@smiller4597)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi all,
First topic: (looking for Nils to chime in here) I have taken my guitar to the one and only music shop we have here, the guy looked at the guitar and said he needed to make several adjustments some of which I do not want. He had a hard time plugging the guitar into the amp. which made me think I was dealing with someone who really doesnt know what he is doing. I think I will have more success doing the adjustments myself. What I need to know is, if I adjust my string height will that throw any other adjustment off?
Second topic: I recently ordered "Electric Guitar Coach Deluxe" and wanted to comment on it. I think this is a must have for any newbe! It starts at the very basics and is very easy to use. I would suggest it to every newbe out there!!!

(@patrick)
Reputable Member

First - are your strings too high (difficult play or to press down - especially barre chords) or too low (open strings buzzing)? This would be the reason to adjust the string height.

If you like the current string height you have, and aren't having any problems, no need to change it. I just keep mine at the specs the manual suggests. Changing string height might require adjusting the intonation - adjusting the bridge saddles (think that's what they're called) back or forward a bit. Otherwise, the fretted notes will be a tiny bit off in pitch, even when the open string is tuned perfectly.

ReplyQuote
(@patrick)
Reputable Member

Oh...string height will also affect sustain; higher = more sustain, lower = less. If I rememebr correctly.

ReplyQuote
(@smiller4597)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I think my strings are too high because when I bend strings my fingers go under the next string and catch on top of my finger tip. maybe I just need more practice!!!

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Go through all the measurements first, and make sure what actually needs doing.
http://home.nycap.rr.com/nils/
By itself, lowering the strings may not be enough, if the neck relief isn't right, you may just end up with buzz.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member

I think my strings are too high because when I bend strings my fingers go under the next string and catch on top of my finger tip. maybe I just need more practice!!!

I also do that and I think my action is too high.
To avoid making the strings I catch with my fingertip sound I dampen them with my right hand.

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote