Uh, What's a Capo?

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@lenny56)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I kinda know what they are.
They clamp onto the neck and depress the strings at various fret locations.
But why would you want to use one?
What effect do they have on how I play chords?
Lenny

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

It's like a movable nut. Put the capo on the first fret and you have changed the tuning of the guitar to F, A#, D#, G#, C, F. Now play an Emajor chord, as if the capo were the nut. You're playing an Fmajor chord, just the same as if you had played a barre Fmajor.

What effect does it have? It allows you to change the key of songs, which were written using open chords and still play open chords!

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

It's my understanding that the chord will also sound different if you're using a capo as opposed to using a barre.

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

It's my understanding that the chord will also sound different if you're using a capo as opposed to using a barre.

Slightly, a capo can mess up your intonation slightly, but note-wise, it won't sound any different. If you do a barre E form on the third fret to play a G, it will sound the same as if you put a capo on the third fret and then played a standard open E form on your new open position. Both chords will sound as G.

In both forms the Exact same frets will be depressed.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

You can also tune down to accommodate your voice for singing.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@tim-shull)
Estimable Member

ok guy's bare with here i'm a rookie. so if the capo goes on the first fret.does that mean that second fret is #1 and so on .. if that is so seems like that would be a little confusing??... help me see the light

Cash is cool

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

ok guy's bare with here i'm a rookie. so if the capo goes on the first fret.does that mean that second fret is #1 and so on .. if that is so seems like that would be a little confusing??... help me see the light

You would play it as though it were, if a tab was made with that disclaimer. You have to use your imagination sometimes, pretend you're capo is the nut, but it's usually not too bad.

Most of the time when you're using a capo, you'll be playing mostly "open" chords anyways and taking advantage of the capo as a permanent barre. Your sheet will say "G" and you'll fret a G just like you usually would, only relative to you're capo.

Not to confuse matters here, but if you capo first fret and play your open G relative to the capo, you'll actually be playing G#. All of this will fall into place once you fully understand the concept of barre chords.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

You learn a song, nice simple 3-chorder, A D and E....then you find it's a litle low for your voice....hmmm, I'll try it in B E and F#.....all you have to do is put the capo on at the second fret, and play the A D and E chord shapes....it really is that simple.

"Wonderwall" by Oasis is a great example of a song recorded with a capo....capo on 2nd fret, you need to play Em,G,D and A7sus4 chords for the verse.....B7sus4 is a horrible chord to put on with a barre, which is what you're playing with the capo on....

and if you want to use extended chords (9ths/11ths/13ths etc) in a key like Bb, you really will need a capo!!!!!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote