8 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@lenny56)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Yeeeeehaaaa!
Had my first lesson Monday.
The guy is a quick 5 min walk from my house.
He's about my age and plays in a "rockabilly" type band.
Anyway, he showed me some easy finger warmups, stretching exercises, and some scales.
Plus, he had me doing some simple lead jamming with him while he played a background melody.
It's weird, but my perception of the guitar and learning to play the guitar is very different now.
Guitar playing seems both much simpler and much more difficult than I first thought.
Yeah, you heard me right.
There don't seem to be any hard and fast rules about what to play and when. But conversely, getting smooth, fast, and innovative seem ridiculously difficult at times.
Go figure!
Any other first time lesson stories?
Lenny

sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Make sure he spends some time with you showing how to properly change strings and talks about basic guitar maintenance. It'll help as much as learning to play will, and is often overlooked.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

It's all part of the love thing we'll have for guitars :)

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

Sounds like you enjoyed your first lesson, I hope they work out well for you. I consider my self very much a beginner, bought my first guitar about a year and a half ago, and have been taking lesson for the psat four months. I sometimes get frustrated with the lessons, some nights I feel like man we could of skipped this, or he was really going to fast for me to understand what he was saying. But in all honesty when I look back at my playing four months ago, and compare it to where I'm at today, I see progress. And progress is really what I was looking for, after a year of playing/learning on my own, with no one to really play with I felt lessons were my best option.

I hope you continue to learn, improve and enjoy your lessons. My experience so far has been sometimes I get frustraited with the lessons and my progress, but just like playing the guitar, stick with it, I feel if I just stick with the lessons long enough eventually things will fall in place.

I've found no shortcuts to learning guitar, only pratice and persistance

ReplyQuote
(@tim-shull)
Estimable Member

hey lenny great news glad to here your first lesson went well,have my first one on feb 2. keep us posted on your progress. Tim - man after 3 weeks just played a f chord to my surprize :o

Cash is cool

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

HEY
I 've been practising my chords since late November , trying to play Kiss an Angel goodmorining just found To her Door by Paul Kelly trying to master that one as well .

Have not had any lessons yet except from all the champions in this forum like Wes who have given me great advise and answered all my questions in such detail .

But am thinking of getting a lesson or two very soon , could not be bothered in paying someone to show me how to form a "G" or any other chord when I get that advise in here for free .

Oh well better go take my prosac now and practice some more

see ya's

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

Lenny,

Congrats, you are on your way ...
A competent teacher will immensly accelerate the learning process.

Within the next few months, I will be taking lessons from the One Jamey Andreas. Can't wait.

Cheers.

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member

I'm having my second lesson in a few minutes. :D
Can't wait to got there. My theacher is a friend of mine and a great guitar player.
After my first lesson I was wondering to myself:"What the hell was I doing the last 5000 years on my guuitar?"

We even incorporate theory into the time because somehow it's a good way to combine both sides.
8)

So, I really can advice to get a decent teacher. :!:

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote