Notifications
Clear all

Ultimate Newb Questions!

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@kailurisu)
Topic starter  

So im looking into picking up the guitar mainly as a hobby, I feel I need one that sounds fun to me.

First off I dont have a lot of money, and whatever I get, will be best if I can play it quietly if you get my drift, so I assume electric would be the way to go on that and was wondering if there were any suggestions for a good cheap guitar for a starter, I really dont want to spend a lot on this until im sure I am going to get into it (would suck to throw down 400+ for something that I decide only to do for a month or two)

Second just any books you suggest for basic learning, the instructionals on this website seem pretty comprehensive but it would be nice to maybe pick up a good beginner book/dvd of sorts to go hand in hand with this.

Thanks for the advice :D

(@rocker)
Noble Member

go with a squier strat great guitar for 120 bucks

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Hi, and welcome to Guitarnoise.

Why not try out one of the starter packs - they come with a usable electric guitar and a small amp for reasonable money; and if you decide you don't want to stick with it you can still get reasonable money when you sell it on.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I agree with Alan..Squier, Behringer, Ibanaz, etc...they all make starter packs. The Behringer I think is nice because of the Amp. Alos, check out Rondo Music for great quality inexpensive guitars

ReplyQuote
(@lederhoden)
Trusted Member

I would also suggest looking at a Yamaha starter pack - the Pacifica is very good value for money

ReplyQuote
(@tkn_dk)
Trusted Member

I started with the Yamaha starter pack (still use the guitar). It's great value for money, I have to say.

All I want is food and creative love.

ReplyQuote
(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member

I live in Lexington, KY and they have a shop here that sells and rents instuments, equipment, etc. They are primarily guitar, bass and drums focused so they have a nice selection. You can rent a pretty nice acoustic for aroound $25-$35 a month.

That is one possibility. If you have a place like that in your area rent one for a couple of months. If you still feel like it is something that you want to stick with after a couple of months then maybe look into a purchase.

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

ReplyQuote
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member

Yeah, Kailurisi...

I have a squier strat too. So far, its a pretty good practice guitar and you will be able to get a variety of sounds out of it. I reccomend that because its relatively inexpensive and pretty reliable. And a book or DVD I would suggest it "Guitar for Dummies" It's got a DVD and a Book so try either one although, if it came down to iy, I would really suggest the book because the DVD is really short and you will find yourself going back in hopes of picking up more info than was really even given...

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

A so called 'fat strat' can be quite versatile and there are a number of cheap starter packs with them. Yamaha or a standard squier, but you might want to check out the rent option first. Be aware that except for the Behringer, most companies save money on the amp in these packages. With the Behringer, it's the guitar that can sometimes be substandard.

For a book you might try http://www.skepticalguitarist.com/

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@kailurisu)
Topic starter  

Excellent, thanks all for the advice, i should have thought about Guitars for Dummies book, i buy those for everything else but I didnt think about it for guitars. those books are great, ill look into one of those starter packs, there is a place Nearby Guitar Center, seems to have decent deals when I took a look but I didnt feel ready enough yet to take the dive without doing some research.

ReplyQuote
(@kailurisu)
Topic starter  

And as for buying I should have said I dont mind spending around 200 on this. I probably spend around 200 dollars + a month on video games I play for 2, 3 days, so If i spend 200 on a guitar and 2 months later I decide I dont wanna play with it anymore, I still feel thats money well spent for the time it does entertain me. Although I expect that I will love the guitar, I have always loved music and wanted to pick up an instrument anyways.

ReplyQuote