Notifications
Clear all

Unable to hold C chord without muting small E string @#$#@

26 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

I agree with Corbind - when playing Barre chords anyway - my thumb goes more towards the headstock.

And for the same reason I expect - it gives me better finger extension so my knukles don't
bind up.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Here's a slightly different take on the subject.....due to all the hand injuries I've had over the last few years, I haven't got the strength in it I used to have, so I play chords how I'm comfortable with them.

In this picture of the C chord, you can see my thumb is really where it shouldn't be - but it's comfortable for me. If it was behind the neck, my hand would be arched more, and all the strain would be on the back of my hand, where I suffered a severed tendon last year. Note also that I'm fretting the bottom E string at the third fret - it's a G note, which is part of a C chord anyway...the only time I don't play the E string is when I'm going to change to a C7.

Here you can see I've changed to an open F chord - all six strings are used, my thumb is fretting the F note on the bottom E string. Minimal movement from the C chord....and I should add, my hand is fairly relaxed and comfortable.

From there it's a fairly simple matter to move up two frets to a G chord - thumb still fretting the root G note, hands still fairly relaxed. I've found this method of playing barre chords - and some open chords suits me. Playing barres for more than a couple of minutes, my hand starts aching - using my thumb, I can play for hours with no discomfort. Here's the G chord....

I thought it might be interesting to compare these to the pics Pete (Reincarnate) posted - just goes to show we're not all the same, and what works for one person might not work for another.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Interesting, Vic!

I just tried this, not comfortable for me, but very doable! I totally see what you are talking about. My opinion is that you should do things the right way first and find out what works second. But, what you've run across, this is the right way for you. Great pics by the way.

Everyone will end up with their own way of doing things, and someone told me that there is no really one good way of doing things.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Everyone will end up with their own way of doing things, and someone told me that there is no really one good way of doing things.

Absolutely. Whereas Pete's pics show the technically correct way - they could be used in a textbook - mine show the way I HAVE to play them. Even before the run of injuries I had, there were certain chords I used to play that way - Bm and F#m, especially if changing from open chords, and I was taught to play a D chord like this....200232, with the thumb fretting the F# note. It's the method I've evolved that works best for ME....I wouldn't recommend it as standard practise, in my case it's more of a necessity....and of course, it helps to have BIG hands.

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

That's just what I was going to say about your hands, Vic! If my thumb stuck that far above the neck I wouldn't be able to play anything but the high e and b strings (and the b string would be a stretch!) because my hands are very SMALL! :D You really have to just find the best position that allows you to clear all the strings without deadening one. If you can do that, you're doing it right!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

Nice one there Vic, I use that move a lot for a C-F-G progression, I think it sounds better (I've always preferred the barre-G to the open G).

I got into using that before I could do full barres as it let me do an *almost* full F; discovered the slide up to G by accident, and voila! kept on going with it. I still use it now and again as I find that way of forming the barre's quicker than full barres (practice needed I guess!) especially if Iam playing a fast progression.

And I agree with both Racetruck and yourself Vic, everyone will find their own best way of doing things - if it works, then it works. simple as that! :D

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

The way I discovered that progression, played that way, was from watching this video.....Bowie playing Queen B*tch on the OGWT.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7rk6zkC6DBU

I could play the intro chords OK, but couldn't get the sound Bowie was getting. Part of it was the fact he's using a 12-string - but there are sections of this video where you can see quite clearly what his fingers are doing. And I learned THAT - watching fingers for chord changes - by jamming in the pub!

Vic

EDIT - that's a great song for practising major chords BTW - chords used are A, B, C, D, E, F and G. I've just noticed, also, that Bowie's playing the B chord using his thumb to make the bottom part of the barre.....then changes to an open D chord - then back to the "half-barre" B chord.....

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hey all. :D
Vic - that's how I hold my open chords too; with my thumb wrapped around the top and my palm against the neck
(see my earlier reply to this post)
As I have rather large hands myself.
I've also broken my hands and knuckles a few times. :cry:
That's really the only way I can hold them without making it feel like I'm in an Aikido joint lock. :lol:

I found out about that slide up with this video from the James Gang.
Joe Walsh slides the C all the way up to play the A chord. Notice the thumb wrap to play the low E string at A.
Although NOT a full chord. ( a so called "power chord" )
I have a hard time with that move myself. My knuckles bind in certain situations, and that's one of 'em.
Even though this video is how I learned this song, I have no problem grabbing the Full Barre.
I have seen people cover this song staying in open position entirely, and it sounds great.
I tried that; and would have to retrain myself to do it that way.

Ken
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2k1Vz1-rjc

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Nice link, Ken!

Yeah I noticed Joe's hand position - especially the thumb - always liked that guy! :D

OK - let's see who's got the biggest hands - I'll start a thread in opinions and polls......

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I think it's important to learn the proper techniques in the beginning then to do what is comfortable later, every book and lesson I've ever seen teaches it this way!

+1 to that. :)

I try and look at all the "correct" ways of doing things before I choose what's somfortable for myself. Usually there are very good reasons why something was adopted as "correct" in the first place.

However, with guitar, a lot of "correct form" comes down from Classical guitar playing. This is a very different kettle of fish in many ways. The neck's a different size and shape, the Classical posture position is carefully set up and balanced in a way that few rockers favour, and the style of music played is usually very different as well (what you are usually asking your fretting fingers to do is just.... well, different :P )

There are also issues around holding the neck for bends. This is the usual excuse given to justify the "rock" thumb position, although honestly I think that the posture, control and style things make as much or more difference.

When it comes to bar chords I think that how far across the neck you stick your index finger is a big issue too. I usually have mine a lot further across than Pete's in his various pics on threads here.

Why? Simple. Bar chord beginners always seem to try and get around the buzzing issue by attempting to crush their index finger through the neck to flatten out those nasty uncooperative bumpy knuckles. But if you position the finger (depending on your own size and shape of finger) so that the problem area sits behind whatever strings you're actually fretting, then bingo - no more problem!. :D For me, that usually means a fair bit of tip hanging over the edge. Probably a cheat that will catch up with me in the end.... but it works well for the bar shapes that I've been using to date. :wink:

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Well.....I was going to add more - but it's 1:05 AM, and my reading glasses have just quit on me. A little tiny screw has just fell out of the bit that goes behind my ear.....I'll have to borrow the wife's glasses so's I cansee to put them back together.

oh well - bed - I think....

Vic

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2