Notifications
Clear all

Unlearning Bad Habits

8 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@vylrath)
Topic starter  

I've been playing guitar for several years (largely self-taught). I have rather small hands, so I have been playing power chords with finger 1 on the root, and finger 4 barred on the fifth and octave. Recently, I have been getting more serious with my playing, and would like to play my chords with fingers 1, 3, and 4 on the root, fifth, and octave, respectively, so that I can extend my 4th finger up a half-step if needed. My question is this: how do I unlearn the habits of five years of poor, sloppy guitar playing? I can't seem to break the habit! Thanks for the help.

(@bennett)
Reputable Member

I cannot speak from a guitar experience perspective, but I can't see why it would be any different from any other habit.

I think the only way you can break it would be to consciously and repetitively correct it. I guess as we get more experienced playing the guitar we tend to pick new things up a lot quicker, but then forget how long it took as a very green beginner to learn simple chords.

So I suspect that it'll be just like it was in the beginning: slow.

Anyhoo, I'm sure you'll get an answer from our more experienced folk. Good luck nonetheless. :)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

welcome to GuitarNoiseForums Vylrath. I have small hands as well, and understand that learning things can be challenging. I don't know if you do any full barre chords or spread out scales, but those are tough for the smaller fingered people as well. Just do your best to retrain yourself. Play songs you already know well, just with the new technique. If you find yourself going back to the old one, then stop and start over. That should help snap the old habit.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I think the best way would be to restart from the beginning on power chords.

Place your fingers very slowly and deliberately on the neck, play, and then do the same when you go to change chord - stop. move, place, play - all very slowly. It won't take as long as you think, and all of a sudden the new muscle memory will be in there. Et voila!

The same theory works in classical playing when you want to play something better.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

An alternative that might be worth trying is barring the two relevant frets with the first and third fingers, then adding the pinky above the third finger for that half-step as required. It might not suit you, but I thought I'd mention it just in case :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@hawkfoggy)
Estimable Member

Try finger exercises like crematic scales and variations. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

"I'm as free as a bird now. And this bird you can not change" Free Bird, By: Lynyrd Skynyrd
GIT SNAKE BIT!!!
stay safe

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Vylrath! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! I see you're in Denton. I'm on the other side of Fort Worth in Weatherford, but I work in Bedford! There are a few other Texans here, as well! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@kachman)
Estimable Member

Doesn't sound like such a bad habit to me. If you bar the 5th and octave with your 3rd finger instead, you'll still have your 4th (pinky) free to hit other notes. Or maybe I just have all these bad habits that I get around with more unorthodox methods :-)

http://www.myspace.com/kachman

ReplyQuote