Clear all

unwanted noise on string bends

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@patrick)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

When I do a bend on the #1 (high E) string, as I quickly release the bend, my fingertip (or maybe it's the #1 or #2 string) catches on the #3 string, causing it to sound. This doesn't happen as much during a 'bend and release', it's mainly when I bend and then quickly release to play the next note. And it doesn't happen as much when bending the other strings. I tried varying the way my fingertips contact the #1 string and different finger angles, but little or no imrovement. Thanks.

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

The more you practice, the less this will happen. Do you use two fingers to bend? I use my middle finger and the index finger behind it to support the bend. If you don't use two fingers, try it that way. It might give you a bit more control.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

The more you practice, the less this will happen. Do you use two fingers to bend? I use my middle finger and the index finger behind it to support the bend. If you don't use two fingers, try it that way. It might give you a bit more control.
If you keep the finger that is closer to the nut a little bit higher then it will dampen the next string for you if you're bending up. A little lower if your bending down.

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

Musenfreund is right. I found that this was something that just sort of corrected itself over time. It used to happen to me all the time, and man it was annoying. It hardly ever happens to me now. Muting the strings you're not playing with your picking hand should help.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

You'll sometimes catch even someone like Clapton having the middle strings sound a bit or getting caught. Not very often, and I can't remember the song it was where it happened (it was either a live track or concert footage), but I remember thinking 'ooopsie there...'

When I bend I think my bending finger sorta goes under the 3rd string and touches the 4th string so they get muted that way. But also when I'm bending - which isn't often because of the style I play - not only are the other fingers lightly touching the other strings as the other guys said, but the thumb sometimes comes over a bit and nudges the other strings into silence. But it's mostly the end of the bending finger; I never bend a string with the fingertip straight up and down as in classical guitar technique; it's always toward the tip but still on the pad of the finger. When I look down I can see the tip of my finger - the end of it - somewhat, and that's the part that's pushing into the B and G strings to deaden them.

ReplyQuote