Clear all

Use of Downstrums Between Beats

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

The instructional book I am following teaches this using "Hey Jude" as the example, counted " 1 2 & 3 & 4" with "&" being a downstrum on the offbeat. The strum played on the offbeat is a downstrum, only across a couple of strings instead of the full chord.

I don't remember encountering it on any of the posts here or in the Easy Song Forum.

Is this a common strumming technique? What type of music is it usually applied to?

Thanks all.

(@Anonymous)

I have only played for 3 months but I never seen it. I am assuming they want you to downstrum the bass strings and not the treble since an upstroke would be better for the treble.

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

There is a similar tecnique in a section of Norweigen Wood. Basically the up strums are stressed with full louder strums than the partial down strums. If you listen to Norweigen wood during the lyrics (She told me she worked in the morning and started to laugh......) you can hear the difference.

If you've been strumming for a while it is not all that hard and you will come across it from time to time.

I believe Santana uses stressed upbeats somtimes and if I am not mistaken (and I might be) it is called syncopation.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@blind_lemon_pye)
Trusted Member

I just began to play Hey Jude only recently, but I tend to emphasize the upstrokes to get the rythm right. Yet I'm not very satisfied by the way it sounds.May be it's a better solution to play downstrokes on the offbeat.

Though it seems a little tricky for my poor ability.

If I'm not in the band
Don't mean I'm square
Mercury Rev - Car Wash Air

ReplyQuote
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I just began to play Hey Jude only recently, but I tend to emphasize the upstrokes to get the rythm right. Yet I'm not very satisfied by the way it sounds.May be it's a better solution to play downstrokes on the offbeat.

Though it seems a little tricky for my poor ability.

I've only been playing since March, and found it a bit tricky at first. Count it " 1 2 & 3 & 4" Once you get the groove it is pretty cool sounding. I emphasize the first beat the most, with the rest done equally.

ReplyQuote