Notifications
Clear all

Using acoustic amps with electric guitars

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mjs6029)
Topic starter  

My son plays the electric guitar using a small 15 Watt practice amp and I wanted to get him a somewhat more powerful amp to be used outside the house. I know little about the electric guitar world so I ended up getting a Behringer ACX900 ultra acoustic amplifier as I've heard acoustic amps are better. After reading some blogs about amps, I now wonder if the ACX900 is even usable. I use an acoustic amp with my electric violin and it sounds great but now I wonder if I've made a mistake. I've read a lot about using acoustic guitars with regular electric guitar amps, but none on using electric guitars with acoustic amps. Do I need to unload the ACX900 and find something else? Any guidance would be appreciated.

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i doubt you will be very happy with the sound but it can be done.
my semi hollow sounds great through my Fishman, but my strat does not.
i learned a lot about the difference between high and low impedence instruments, passive versus active pickups, piezos and the like when shopping for my A/E amp and trying various combinations out conviced me to stick with an amp designed to bring out all the possibilities of the instrument it is primarily designed for.
check out ebay, there are lots of deals if you shop carefully.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

For a short time, I played an electric through a keyboard amp. Keyboard amps have the woofer and tweeter. Just not a natural sound for an electric. Tube guitar amp is the way to go.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote