Very, but very easy songs... for newbies

15 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@irght19kc)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi All,

I'm looking for easy, very very easy songs for newbies like me. Presently, i practicing : Wish you were here (David Hodge's lessons). But, i would like more easy songs .. just for playing fast (immedialty?)

Scuse my poor english..

Visit my BLOG!(in french...)

(@Anonymous)

Sing by Travis

First song I learnt, nice and simple, no fast chord changes needed

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/t/travis/sing_crd.htm

ReplyQuote
(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member

horse with no name easy songs for beginners by d. hodge all his songs are brill but just take time and learn bar by bar it does work.

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Umm...there is hardly any song less than 3 chords.Try leaving on a jet plane (only strumming.) Great song ever for very slow strumming and sound really great to a beginner.That was my first song on guitar looking through a chord 'cheat' sheet :D

Here's it -

Intro: G C G C

G C
All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go

G C
I'm standing here outside your door

G C D(x2)

I hate to wake you up to say goodbye

G C
But the dawn is breaking, it's early morn

G C
The taxi's waiting, he's blowing his horn

G C D(x2)
Already I'm so lonesome I could die

CHORUS:

G C
So kiss me, and smile for me

G C
Tell me that you'll wait for me

G C D(x2)
Hold me like you'll never let me go

G C
I'm leavin' on a jet plane

G C
I don't know when I'll be back again

G C D(x2)
Oh babe, I hate to go

Verse 2:
There's so many times I've let you down
So many times I've played around
I tell you now, they don't mean a thing
Every place I go, I'll think of you
Every song I sing, I'll sing for you
When I come back I'll bring your wedding ring

CHORUS

Verse 3:
Now the time has come to leave you
One more time, let me kiss you
Then close your eyes, I'll be on my way
Dream about the days to come
When I won't have to leave alone
About the times I won't have to say

CHORUS

Ending: Play last D in chorus x4, then strum G once.

Now some people may point out G7 or D7 or C9 or any other chord but since they are not that required so you can even play this simplified version.It will basically make you have a feel at the guitar and give you the exercise of changing from G to C and vice versa which is used in zillions of songs.

Hope you like it and enjoy !! :D

Rahul (pm me if you have any other queries or put em here)

ReplyQuote
(@secretariat)

Seasons Greetings All.
Please don't take me wrong, cause as a beginner myself, I have learned lots and lots from Hodge and this site. But I feel you professionals can no longer think like a beginner. I have mostly had to read between the lines of your advice and figure it out myself.
You start me on Little Drummer Boy........and you want me to use my pinky. IT is just as easy as using my little toe at this point. And David always throws something in the songs that is so easy for him, but makes it mount everest for me.
This guy asks for beginners material..... and I know why.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Seasons Greetings All.
Please don't take me wrong, cause as a beginner myself, I have learned lots and lots from Hodge and this site. But I feel you professionals can no longer think like a beginner. I have mostly had to read between the lines of your advice and figure it out myself.
You start me on Little Drummer Boy........and you want me to use my pinky. IT is just as easy as using my little toe at this point. And David always throws something in the songs that is so easy for him, but makes it mount everest for me.

Thanks

Hey ..calm down and welcome to GN.

The song i have just mentioned is a VERY easy one to practice.Use only the index , middle and ring fingers to form the G , C , D chords.Just try it out.It doesn't get easier than this.Keep trying 8)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Seasons Greetings All.

Thanks

Welcome to GN!

My take it on it: if you're practicing and it ain't hard you ain't practicing. As a beginner your pinky will be rather useless since most people don't really use their pinky for much. But that ain't going to change unless you start using it. Barres might be impossible for you, and they will always be so until you start practicing them. Sure David is building the mount everest, but if you work hard at it you can climb it.

In any case: I don't know of any song that a 'beginner' can play. I don't even know what a 'beginner' is. Some beginners have difficulty playing the G-major chord while they have no problems playing the G-major scale, others are playing barre-chords long before they even try the simplest of riffs. WHich one is the beginner? No idea. If anyone wants song suggestions I think it might be usefull to say what you can do. Which chords can you play, which techniques do you know and how fluent are you in applying them?

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Here is a nice easy song with basic chords that is strummed slowly

Every rose has its thorn - Poison

http://www.guitaretab.com/p/poison/14876.html

I also second the thought on the begginner lesson - Horse with no name - I don't think chord changes get any easier than that. You can try simply strumming it without adding in the base notes or muting.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@irght19kc)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi all,

thanks for many suggestion here... Horse with no name was my very firts choice but, i dont think its the rythme.. I means, i dont reconize the songs too much ... when i play, not when david play lol

same as said before, i praticing presently wish u were here form david hodge's lessons.

For you information and, if that can help you to suggest me some songs, i play (not perfectly.. but that's not too bad and little more like the real version than m. hodge because the last part of the intro is so confused) the intro. And for now, i try to learn the verse strumming ... but, it's difficult for me to change cords..

Thank you very much with those which helped me.

And, scuse my very poor english...

ReplyQuote
(@jubby)
Trusted Member

you probably don't know it, but cleveland by all-time quarterback is very easy, just C and Fmaj7 are the chords and they alternate for the entire song

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

el condor pasa - simon and garfunkel
redemption song - bob maarley
eleanor rigby - the beatles
a face in the crowd - tom petty
welcome me - indogo girls
lonely old night - john cougar mellencamp
three hits - indigo girls
margaritaville - jimmy buffet
the time of your life - green day
lodi - creedence

ReplyQuote
(@mikemc)
Eminent Member

Try slowing the tempo down regardless of how the song is actually played. Doing this helped me a lot. Add the speed as you go and become more comfortable wtih forming the chord shapes and the changes. It is also helpful to start with a song that you know well from listening to it. Break it down in parts and learn one section at a time, then try puting it all together. It might take you 6 months to learn a song, but it will come. Wonderful Tonight / Clapton was one of the first ones I learned.

ReplyQuote
(@irght19kc)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

pearlthekat

Thaks a lot... many choice !!!

MikeMc

Yes i try but ... the sound i made is different.. i mean, the tempo.. rythme... u know what i means ? :)

Thanks all.. and, continue to suggest me plz ! :)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

As far as changing chords goes, its all down to practice. It doesn't matter how much theory you read, if you know the chord shapes, all you can do is keep playing the chord and switching between the ones you know.

I remember how frustrating it is when you can't change quickly, but there is no shortcut. The very first song I learnt was actually Better Man by Robbie Williams (G, Em, Am, D) not Sing by Travis as I posted before :P It took me about 5 days of at least 2 hours practice to get this flowing somewhat similar to the song.

Don't give up! Keep practicing and you'll get it eventually. Its all about muscle memory: your brain will begin to associate a certain muscle formation in your hand with the chord sound (action-reaction!), and once this is hardwired in your mind, you'll find you can form the chords without barely even thinking about them.

As for the tempo and rythm sounding different, there are a few things to check:

Make sure you know the song that you are trying to mimic REALLY well in terms of timing and rythm

Be aware that a downstroke and an upstroke of the same chord produce a slightly different sound

Does the song require the use of a capo?

Look at a different tab/chord sheet for the song you are trying to learn: MANY, MANY of the tabs and chords posted on other sites are wrong!

Good Luck with your playing! :P

Pete

ReplyQuote
(@irght19kc)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi Pete !

Thanks a lot for you help... that's encouraging me !!

Yes, i know praticing is the key to be a better player. I have some pretty good songs that some one here suggest me..

I continue and be sure about on thing : i will NOT give up ! :)

Thanks again !

ReplyQuote