Clear all

Changing Strings

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Some folks advise changing strings one at a time (take off one string, put a new one on, then go to the next string, take it off, put a new one on..etc, etc) so that tension is constant on the neck. Others advise taking all strings off then putting the new ones on, saying that the amount of time the neck is without tension is so small, it doesnt make any difference. Not sure which one is correct...are both methods ok?

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Both are OK. Just some things to be aware of depending on the type of guitar. I have left strings off for days without a problem.

For example, some bridges are only held on by the pressure of the strings. It could fall off and damage the surface or for that matter just move and throw off action and intonation. A little more detail on this on my web pages linked below.

Personally, I just do one at a time unless the goal is to also clean the fretboard or other maintenance.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

On my classical i remove all strings and then put new ones.The slotted headstock just doesn't allows changing one at a time.

Beside i can easily clean my guitar.Normally average time for my strings changing must not be less than 4 months...unless i am really unlucky :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

i have a les paul so i change mine one at a time, for the very reasons nils stated :)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote