Clear all

2 Fingered Power Chords

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing power chords using my index finger and barring the top part of it (the fifth and the root an octave higher) using either my ring finger or pinky. But when I do this, the top string(the one with the root an octave higher) ends up muted. This happens more often on the acoustic as well. Should I use three fingers instead of two or press harder or build up some finger strength?

(@evolution)
Estimable Member

Well to me that is a kind of wierd way of playing a power chord, but I suggest using the three finger way. It will help build strength in your fingers and especially your pinky.

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

And yet another avatar appears! :lol:

I play power chords with two fingers (index/ring mostly) because that's the way I was shown by a friend. I suppose I could/should learn the three-finger method, but two seems to suit me fine for anything I play. I'm pretty fast that way and reluctant to make a change.

As far as the muting goes, it's definitely a strength issue regardless of the number of fingers you use. It's also a matter of getting that muscle memory down, just like with any other chord...the more you play it, the less you have to think about it, and the stronger your fingers get in the meantime. If it happens more often on the acoustic, practice on that more. Whether you really realize it or not, the acoustic is probably a little harder to fret clean than your electric, and will help build your strength up more rapidly. :)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I play 'em this way as well, it works fine for every song I've tried so far! As for the string muting, you may need to build up more strength in your index finger which means - practice! Also, try to fret only the strings you need - you do not need to barre / fret all 6 strings (in my cast its usually only 1!) so concentrate on the essentials. Once your hand muscles build up, if you're like me, you'll find that you are fretting them all without realising it :P

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Index finger on the 6th string, ring finger on the 5th and pinky on the 4th gives sufficient stability and means you have your middle finger free to finger the major chord if you need it.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

And yet another avatar appears! :lol:

quote]

And even i noticed it :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

So use three fingers to build strength then switch to using two, or just keeping using three fingers?

If I were to use my middle finger to get the major chord, would I get a moveable pattern?

ReplyQuote
(@raina)
Eminent Member

you could just stick to practicing the e-shape-barre chord a lot, then you would practice the three-finger powerchord automatically too.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i use two fingers if im high up on the neck, cos the frets are closer together

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote