Clear all

Voice like a frog

32 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@welshman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

You know I often stand in awe of you guys and today is one of those times. As a musician I still leave a lot to be desired, but hey - I'm only doing it for fun and the learning process continues to excite me every day ... so in that respect I am a happy bunny.

However, the more I read posts, the more I read about people learning songs. Now I have a deep seated problem that I suspect no amount of support will cure. No matter how hard I try or however much I may want to sound good - I have a voice that shares a vague resemblance between Kermit the Frog and Sylvester Stallone after too much tequila! Now I've come to terms with this in the main, but oh how many times have I wished that I could just make that old creaking gate of a voice of mine just sound passable just once so that I could really enjoy the pleasure (oh OK and maybe a teensy weensy little bit of riotous applause) of doing a song some justice.

But hey ho sometimes life is cruel ... s tonight I will go back to my little room and play my heart out and sing like a strangulated cat. So friends if you hear a-wailing in the distance - don't worry and pull out your shotgun. It's only a guitarist with drwams beyond his station. So God - if you are reading these posts tonight pay attention please to this poor soul and maybe (if you're not busy) tweak the old larynx a little so that I can start hitting at least some of the notes I play

Know the feeling?

D

What did the guitarist do when he was told to turn on his amp?
He caressed it softly and told it that he loved it.

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

You do not have to have a pretty voice to be a great singer. Ever listened to Tom Waits?? I bet his voice is even worse than yours. Give a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzKiqk2iynY

Think that was bad? Check this one out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wfamPW3Eaw

Tom Waits is a genious, but sings like a frog on steroids.

Other great singers with bad voices.... Bob Dylan, Joe Cocker, Rod Stewart, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Louis Armstrong, and many, many more.....

Take what you've got and use it. Everybody's voice can be great if used properly. :wink:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

hey welshman.....nothing wrong with sounding like kermit on steroids...you just need to find the right song thats all 8)

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Don't forget Kermit had a hit single.

Ernie did too.

I think Stallone sang in that movie with Dolly Parton.

You're in good company! :)

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

There are lots of musicians out there who have a "voice like a frog". The trick is to find material that suits (or can be made to suit) your voice! Dylan can't sing, but he wrote songs that he COULD sing. Willie can't really sing, either, but he's made bunches of money doing it. After reading your post the first name that came to my mind was Tom Waits, who I love, but who sounds like a bullfrog, IMHO. You've just got to work with what you've got. Your voice is another instrument, figure out how to use it to your best advantage!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I know where you are coming from. Guess how many kids in my primary school back in the early 1970s were not admitted into the school choir? You got it - just me! :cry:

One of the reasons I love guitar, is that I can make it my "voice." Most of us weren't born with the god-given gift of a good singing voice. But, we can ALL learn to play an instrument!

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Never heard ofTom Waits. His voice is horrible. Is he famous?

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Dennis

In some circles he is very famous. Here is a good article about Tom Waits:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Waits

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@medarrah)
Estimable Member

:D Man, with These posts, im feeling better already! I know how you feel. Voice cracks when you get to higher notes? Me too. I feel your pain. No worries :wink:
But reading these, I feel a whole heck o' a lot better.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

welshman. you will have to sing one day. it will not be a problem.
remember, just as we like different guitars, each having a tonal quality,
so to it is with the voice. the trick is hitting pitch with whatever voice you are have.
once you can do that then you make it your own. sing your heart out. instead of blowing
a lung belting one out, turn up the mike. then things get interesting.
use the air from the abdomen. do not sing from a tightened throat.
your vocal chords are capable of making tones.
if I can sing, mate, you can sing. believe me. :o

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Here is an Amazon.com page for Tom Waits' "Frank's Wild Years" CD. I recommend listening to the "Telephone Call From Istanbul" sample for a pretty good representation of Tom Waits voice!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

I once heard Rod Stewarts voice compared to a pregnant frog! :shock:

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Know the feeling?

Know it? I invented it! :)

The only reason that you and I can't sing is that we've both been too lazy to put the work in. :oops:

I didn't expect to be able to play the guitar by simply buying one, so there's no reason why I should be able to sing just by opening my mouth. :shock:

Some people are blessed with a beautiful voice quality and some of us aren't, but we all have to to learn to play our instrument whether it's voice or guitar. I happen to think that Tom Waits, Bob Dylan, Rod Stewart and Joe Cocker are all good singers. They have all learned how to control their voices and use them to very good effect for the right songs. I actually like the qualities of their voices - some people don't, and prefer 'prettier' styles - but I think it's a mistake to write them off as singers just because you don't like their tones. Those guys CAN sing! 8) And the reason they can sing is that they put the time in to work on the techniques of singing, just like we do with guitar.

Few people have 'universal' voices. Opera singers train long and hard, in the most highly technical detail, but most of them are hopeless at singing anything outside opera, or closely related genres. A few have released albums of other material and it's usually terrible. :( Most are wise enough to stay in the right area.

Perhaps we should start by learning the notes up and down the fretboard by SINGING the names. Several benefits at once when you do that.

You and I can both sing. We just need to get off our bums and do some practice each day. Shall we start today? :D

Good luck. Look out Paul Potts - we're comin' after ya...

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I used to hate my voice. I thought it was thin, reedy, adenoidal, couldn't hit high notes, couldn't hit low notes. Anyway, first few songs I posted on here, I apologised in advance for the vocals. Couldn't believe it when they got favourable feedback! But I have worked on my voice since...Nick's "Singing 101" really helped, there's a link to it in the "Start Here" post at the very top of the "singing" forum. I also gave up smoking - that really helped! Better breath control, higher lung capacity, more use of diaphragm....all came about as a direct result.

I'm still not a big fan of my own voice, but I don't hate it the way I used to - I can live with it now. I have to, so it's no good moaning about it! And if the world's laziest person - ME - can work on my voice and improve it, anyone can!

Everyone's voice is unique - the trick is to take what you have and make it work for you. It CAN be done!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Wes, you're good. Waits is a perfect example.

Tom Waits is the perfect example of a great artist with a bad voice. Listen to his song "Come on Up To the House"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GugzLSbOQE

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3