Clear all

Which way is the best to learn?

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@medarrah)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Is it better to just Cram it all in, and practice that daily for a while until I got that down pat, or do little by little each day? (should I say "cram?")
Which way is easiest to help me remeber?
Since I am a newbie, I tend to spend a lot of time playing around on my guitar, because I just cant put it down... So I was just askin'.

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Guitar is no different from life itself, you have to have a balance. If all you do is work, you will have lots of money but you will be a miserable soul. If all you do is play, you will be broke and probably find yourself in trouble often. :D

Guitar is the same. If you want to really be a good guitar player you need to work, which means organized practice to attain certain goals. So practice sight-reading, scales, chords and such. This is not always a lot of fun, sometimes it's downright boring, but necessary to improve.

But you must have some fun too. Sometimes you have to put the books and lessons away and just jam out. :twisted:

Learn this now: Guitar is not something you learn to play well in a few days or weeks. If you really want to be a good guitarist you must commit yourself to it. Keep playing and you will get good in time. :wink:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@medarrah)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Wes.

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

Personally I'll just introduce somethign new and do it for a very short time the first time ever. Then after that I;ll commit alot of time to it to make sure it gets up to speed.

You should try to play as often and for as long as possible once you get past the beginner pains (I think anyway) but personally I don't find it worth playing if you don't want to. It'll be uninspiring and poor. Give it a minute or two to find out, but I'd say play whenever you like and then for as long as you like. Just try to do something new on a regular basis. Keep it fresh.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Bite sized chunks is the way to go. You can't rush it.

Start with a handful of chords and learn to play them well - left hand and right hand. Then perhaps start with a simple song. Maybe add scales once your comfortable. Build your skill set slowly but steadily.

Rome wasn't built in a day. :wink:

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Totally agree with Wes but also double stress the ideal that guitar isnt something you learn in a few weeks, years or whatever. I know people that have been playing decades and they are still learning.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@medarrah)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've already got the point that I cant learn in a couple of weeks. But Im saying, which would help me remeber more?

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Bite sized chunks is the way to go. You can't rush it.

Start with a handful of chords and learn to play them well - left hand and right hand. Then perhaps start with a simple song. Maybe add scales once your comfortable. Build your skill set slowly but steadily.

Rome wasn't built in a day. :wink:

8)

I have to agree with Chuckster. Bite sized chunks! Learn the fretboard!!! Very important! Here is a good place to start. Learn your major chords and get to the point where you can change between them quickly and easily, then move on to minors, 7ths, etc.... You're going to want some immediate gratification, too, so learn a few very easy songs to help enforce what you've learned about the fretboard and changing between chords. It's when you bite off more than you can chew that it becomes very frustrating. Take small bites, digest them, then move on to the next bite! All of David's lessons here are great and can answer most or all of your questions and there are other sites out there as well that offer good and valuable information. Take advantage of all of it! But don't overwhelm yourself!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

The best way to learn is with a teacher. Don't work on one thing to long, if it isn't going right drop it and go back the next day. For some mysterious reason things seem to come to you in your sleeping hours, and the next day they just work better.

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

It's a fact that the best way of learning is by doing - it's a nice coincidence that learning the guitar means playing it a lot! :lol:

Being a "newbie" to guitar, it does seem like it's really hard to remember all the things you are learning - the reason for that is that at the moment, most of what you are learning is in your concious memory, and not in your unconcious (in other words, you are having to think about everything you do - chord shapes, strum patterns, the chord progression)

Practice over and over, and it will go in - I know that sounds obvious, and doesn't sound like a massive help, but you will get there. One day you will be focussing on *how* to play a Cmaj chord - the next day, you will pick up your guitar and just form a Cmaj chord without even thinking about it. That WILL happen at some point. Same for all the other chords as well.

And that really IS how is happens; it applies to almost every aspect of the guitar - ask anyone here. It's still a bit weird even for more experienced players, that you can go to bed one night struggling to play a riff, then wake up the next morning and just play it, no worries at all.

Perserverence is the key here.

Now, stop reading this and go practice! :lol::lol:

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

the best way to learn the guitar is to make it part of your life.
the learning then never stops.
youir life experiences will translate and show up in your playing.

of course one must learn the rudiments. and take them as you need them.
each piece of learnin' opens up another question.
the questions never stop. the learning never stops.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote